• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Beethoven - Brilliant and Perhaps Insane"

Sir Simon rattling on:

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/18/sir_...erhaps_insane/

Seems like mere hyperbole.

For Sir Simon Rattle, Beethoven was, of course, brilliant. And perhaps crazy.

How much of the composer’s creativity was tied to his loss of hearing?

“If he had not been so cut off from the world by this cruel affliction, could he have gone to the place he went? I wonder,” the British conductor said. “It’s no wonder even many of his most intelligent contemporaries thought that he was insane. (Carl Maria von) Weber walked out after the first movement of the Seventh Symphony saying that he’s no longer writing anything that could be called music, this is only fit for the lunatic asylum.”
    So Beethoven's deafness frustrated him, isolated him socially in ways, and affected his composing. Seems like pretty obvious stuff. That's not exactly craziness. And as far as I know, there is no evidence for that claim about Carl Maria von Weber and the 7th - it is generally thought to be an invention of Anton Schindler.

Comment

What? Am I missing something?

"but sometimes people listen to Beethoven as though it was background and a comfort, and I think that is very dangerous.”

^^^ Sir Simon Rattle.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        What? Am I missing something?

"but sometimes people listen to Beethoven as though it was background and a comfort, and I think that is very dangerous.”

^^^ Sir Simon Rattle.
        If that's the case, then "danger" is my middle name.

Comment

Dear Ludwig wasn't insane!!!

NO! Ludwig was creative and at times eccentric, nothing wrong with that. At least he wasn't boring- that is more of a crime in my book- the world is full of tedious people.

“We should remember how astonishing and astounding and dangerous the music is now,” Rattle said. “We know it so well, but we should never get used to it. Nobody has Francis Bacon on their walls in their house — or very few people — but sometimes people listen to Beethoven as though it was background and a comfort, and I think that is very dangerous.”
          I get his point in that the music if we connect with it will always delight, astound and amaze us. But..part of that is also a comfort, like the slow movement of Opus 135, The Cavatina etc.

So chilling out with a good book and Beethoven's music on the CD player creates that perfect evening.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Mediocrity has always sneered at genius, but I think Chris is right in saying that Weber never said that about Beethoven.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've always had my doubts about Rattle... saw him a few times, and frankly speaking, I don't know what all the fuss is about. His conducting was not as impressive as I would have expected from someone with his stature and name. I will recognise the work he's done with CBSO, though. That orchestra still has retained that wonderful sound, but no wonder with the likes of Andris Nelsons.
              I will see him again next June: http://www.dedoelen.nl/nl/concerten/...simon_rattle//
              Let's see if that is a concert to remember.

Comment

I will see him again next June: http://www.dedoelen.nl/nl/concerten/...simon_rattle//
                Let's see if that is a concert to remember.[/QUOTE]

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to see Sir Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra perform Beethoven's 9th symphony. Needless to say it was fantastic! I heard the famous roar of the BPO brass and horn section, it was like a great machine cranking up, it was actually a fantastic experience to listen to .
                🎹

Comment

Working...
                X