• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerto - A Beethoven Journey - BBC 4

Tonight (23rd Oct) on BBC 4. I just spotted this a few minutes ago:

Concerto – A Beethoven Journey
    7.30pm, BBC4

"We forget much great art; not forget it exists, but forget to pay it proper attention, and regard it as part of the furniture. This charming film records what happened when Norwegian pianist Leif Ove Andsnes confronted this complacency regarding one occupant of the pantheon. In 2011, he decided that he would devote the next four years exclusively to Beethoven – specifically, the composer’s five piano concertos. Andsnes proves as adroit a guide as he is a musician; you’ll hear these as if for the first time.
    Andrew Mueller"

Thanks for that Michael - here's the link with more info:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06kgmyw
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Sounds wonderful. Let us know what you thought.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I think he presented it well and made them accessible to people who aren't familiar with the concertos. Available to watch here for the next 29 days.
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...if-ove-andsnes
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I very much enjoyed listening to the programme.

I love piano concerto no. 5, but if I were to choose between 5 and 4, I think concerto no. 4 would win for me. It is like a wonderful magical journey, and it communicates a lot.
            🎹

Comment

Shame he doesn't play the fortepiano though- the piano of Beethoven's day. God, how I want one.It's driving me nuts with longing.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
              Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I thought this a superb film, a model of what TV can be though rarely is these days.
                A brilliant yet self-effacing pianist with insights into the music that he explained with simplicity and directness; great excerpts illustrating the narrative and showing the sensitivity of the pianist and orchestra one to the other; well chosen and valuable readings from Beethoven's letters.
                And, perhaps best of all, wonderful editing that was always in the background, always at the service of the viewer and that provided a perfect balance between the components.
                Trainee documentary makers should regard this as the gold standard.

Comment

Thanks, Michael.

"There is never a trace of self-pity in Beethoven's music, even with that difficult a life."

And that's why I love his music more than any.

Comment

Originally posted by Euan Mackinnon View Post
                    I thought this a superb film, a model of what TV can be though rarely is these days.
                    A brilliant yet self-effacing pianist with insights into the music that he explained with simplicity and directness; great excerpts illustrating the narrative and showing the sensitivity of the pianist and orchestra one to the other; well chosen and valuable readings from Beethoven's letters.
                    And, perhaps best of all, wonderful editing that was always in the background, always at the service of the viewer and that provided a perfect balance between the components.
                    Trainee documentary makers should regard this as the gold standard.
                    Yes and it was directed by Phil Grabsky who also produced 'In Search of Beethoven'. It makes a real difference when the person behing the project is passionate about the subject - this is what is lacking now, we often have programmes presented by people who have little knowledge of what they're talking about.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                    X