This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
    Been listening to Donizetti's Maria Stuarda all Saturday, Sunday and much of today. It is my latest obsession and I have mounted up a collection of eight CD sets and five DVDs. Also am reading a real history of Mary Stuart and it is fascinating!

Harvey, I feel dreadfully lacking in the operatic department. I never realized that Donizetti made an opera about Mary Queen of Scots. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I shall look it up and read the libretto and listen to it. Who is the author of the History of Mary Stuart you are reading?
    I have read and can recommend the standard history of Mary Queen of Scots, written by Antonia Fraser.
    🎹

Comment

Beethoven: Symphony No. 8, Bernstein and the NYPO.
      This is a work guaranteed to cheer anybody up on a wet day.
      Sir Roger Norrington describes it as follows in a radio broadcast some years ago, and I am quoting from memory:

"Beethoven 8. Usually regarded as the 'little' symphony. Big mistake. It's not a symphony - it's a hand grenade! It jumps out of the oven red hot and you try to hold it without burning yourself!"

Comment

I caught Beethoven's Triple Concerto on the radio on the way in to work this morning. Not a favorite around here, I know, and not a particular favorite of mine among Beethoven's works, but I do like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Beethoven: Symphony No. 8, Bernstein and the NYPO.
          This is a work guaranteed to cheer anybody up on a wet day.
          Sir Roger Norrington describes it as follows in a radio broadcast some years ago, and I am quoting from memory:

"Beethoven 8. Usually regarded as the 'little' symphony. Big mistake. It's not a symphony - it's a hand grenade! It jumps out of the oven red hot and you try to hold it without burning yourself!"
          It's my favourite, well the outside movements especially. It just exudes confidence and joy.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Harvey, I feel dreadfully lacking in the operatic department. I never realized that Donizetti made an opera about Mary Queen of Scots. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I shall look it up and read the libretto and listen to it. Who is the author of the History of Mary Stuart you are reading?
            I have read and can recommend the standard history of Mary Queen of Scots, written by Antonia Fraser.
            The Life of Mary, Queen of Scots: An Accidental Tragedy by Roderick Graham. If I can read another book on Mary Stuart I will look up the one you recommend at my library.

The opera is loosely based on the lives of Mary Stewart and Elizabeth Tudor with a significant deviation being the focal point of the opera where a meeting between the two queens that never happened in real life turns into a confrontation where after Elizabeth provokes Mary, Mary cuts loose calling Elizabeth "Impure daughter of Boleyn, do you speak of dishonour? Prostitute — unworthy and obscene, I blush for you. The throne of England is sullied by your feet, vile bastarda!"

There are a number of fine recordings of Maria Stuarda (even one sung in English). This one happens to be a very good one. But it really needs to be watched on video.

Here is an interesting article on Maria Stuarda.
            Last edited by Harvey; 02-17-2016, 12:29 AM.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              It's my favourite, well the outside movements especially. It just exudes confidence and joy.
              Great. Nothing much wrong with the inside movements either.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Great. Nothing much wrong with the inside movements either.
                No they're wonderful, but it's the first and the finale that bring me back time and again to this work. Thinking about it I just have to listen again!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  It's my favourite, well the outside movements especially.

Well, I love the 8th also because of the haunting and melodious beauty of the Trio in the 3rd movement. Only the Trios from Schubert's 9th and Beethoven's 9th I love as much as this jewel.

Comment

Yesterday:
                    Hanson: Symphony No. 4 "Requiem"
                    Bruckner:Symphony No. 9, 3rd Movement

Comment

Mozart Violin Concertos 3&4, Zino Francescatti/Bruno Walter.
                      Boy, did they take liberties with the tempo!
                      Zevy

Comment

Last night:
                        Hanson:Lament for Beowulf

Comment

Mozart: Complete Violin Concertos
                          Zukerman/St. Paul
                          Zevy

Comment

Beethoven symphony no.6 / Harnoncourt
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Tallis - Out from the deep

Comment

The Tallis Scholars Sing Josquin:
                                Plainchant: Pange lingua
                                Miss Pange lingua
                                Missa La sol fa re mi
                                Praeter rerum seriem
                                Ave Maria (4vv)
                                Anonymous chanson: L'homme armé
                                Missa L'homme armé Super voces musicales
                                Missa L'homme armé Sexti toni

These recordings from the 80s are really spectacular. Wonderful performances and sound. It's no surprise that the original release of the first two Masses won the Gramophone Record of the Year.

The music itself is quite complex. I don't think you will find too many amateur choirs singing these pieces. Very different from Palestrina, Byrd, and Tallis.

Comment

Working...
                                X