X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haydn - 24 Minuets, Hob. IX:16
    Philharmonica Hungarica
    Antal Dorati

My other new purchase. I was eyeing this disc a few years ago, but I held off in hopes that a complete set of Haydn's orchestral dances would show up, as they did for Beethoven's and Mozart's. No such luck. I guess that's the kind of thing that only gets done to fill out a Complete Edition, and Haydn hasn't gotten that treatment, so this disc is the best representation of this part of Haydn's output for now.

And a fine disc it is, performed with energy and drive. It makes me feel like dancing, but sadly, I can only do The Robot...

Comment

Alkan: Grande Sonate 'Les Quatre ages' Op.33, Sonatine & 'Le festin d'Esope' / Marc-Andre Hamelin
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to various recordings of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas. I have several sets and I quite like the mono recordings by Arthur Grumiaux and Clara Haskil, even though the violin sounds a bit too sweet.

Not so with the Martha Argerich/Gidon Kremer set where Kremer is slightly dominated by the pianist (in a musical sense!) Most of these performances are rushed and overly dramatic, even in the Opus 12 set.

My absolute favourites would have to be Ashkenazy and Perlman who get everything just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Listening to various recordings of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas. I have several sets and I quite like the mono recordings by Arthur Grumiaux and Clara Haskil, even though the violin sounds a bit too sweet.

Not so with the Martha Argerich/Gidon Kremer set where Kremer is slightly dominated by the pianist (in a musical sense!) Most of these performances are rushed and overly dramatic, even in the Opus 12 set.

My absolute favourites would have to be Ashkenazy and Perlman who get everything just right.
          Interesting, Michael. Grumiaux is one of my favorite violists, and I love his recordings of the Mozart violin sonatas, but I don't think I have heard his Beethoven recordings. My favorite set of the Beethoven recordings is Josef Suk and Jan Panenka.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Interesting, Michael. Grumiaux is one of my favorite violists, and I love his recordings of the Mozart violin sonatas, but I don't think I have heard his Beethoven recordings. My favorite set of the Beethoven recordings is Josef Suk and Jan Panenka.
            The Grumiaux recordings are part of the Complete Beethoven Box set on the Brilliant label which some of us on this forum bought.
            The Suk and Panenka recordings were the very first ones I heard back in my vinyl days and I really liked them. They are available on CD and I don't know why I never got around to buying that set.
            Yes, I do though: I now have too many CDs and too little cash.

Comment

Dvorak symphony no.6 / Overture 'In nature's realm'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

J.S. Bach, Partita No. 2. D minor.

Violinists, Barnabas Kelemen.
                🎹

Comment

Flotow's opera Martha.
                  "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                  --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Dvorak symphony no.7 in D minor.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven - Concerto No.1, Op.15

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauL8taJxXU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by Megan; 11-19-2015, 10:17 AM.
                      🎹

Comment

Beethoven violin sonata in A minor, Opus 23.
                        A strange little work which was originally intended to be published under the same opus number as the more famous "Spring Sonata". In fact, Anne Sophie Mutter always plays these two works together.
                        With its odd angular themes, it has never been as popular as Opus 24 but I've always loved it. Offhand, I can't think of many more works by Beethoven in A minor (except the string quartet and "Fur Elise").

Comment

I love this timeless masterpiece!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGdFHJXciAQ[/YOUTUBE]
                          Last edited by Megan; 11-22-2015, 12:40 PM.
                          🎹

Comment

Me too!
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The Beatles Singles (Newly remastered).
                              Not as good as Beethoven, but then, nothing is.

Comment

Mozart Violin Sonatas
                                Rafael Druian/George Szell.
                                One of my favorite LPs; 2 sonatas were rereleased on CD, and the other 2 I had to download. These are my favorite recordings.
                                My favorite one of the group is the E minor sonata, K. 304.
                                Zevy

Comment

Working...
                                X