Rediscovering the piano technique of 1827

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rediscovering the piano technique of 1827

An accomplished pianist sets out to re-learn how to play the piano as it was played in the days of Mozart and Beethoven, using a treatise by Hummel and other teaching works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/21/sc...pgtype=article
    Last edited by Chaszz; 07-22-2015, 01:57 PM.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Most interesting, even for a non pianist such as myself. As demonstrated, I hear differences in execution that favor the old technique. It's not a sound I associate with Beethoven, or rather how I envision Beethoven would interpret his own music. That said, I can see this being how others might approach it back in the day. Too, I watched the video soon after having heard Brautigam's Beethoven during lunch. Hummel was bound to seem prime and proper in comparison.

Comment

Thanks- just clicked on it, will read in a bit- right up my street this is...
      Last edited by AeolianHarp; 07-23-2015, 03:52 PM.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
        Most interesting, even for a non pianist such as myself. As demonstrated, I hear differences in execution that favor the old technique. It's not a sound I associate with Beethoven, or rather how I envision Beethoven would interpret his own music. That said, I can see this being how others might approach it back in the day. Too, I watched the video soon after having heard Brautigam's Beethoven during lunch. Hummel was bound to seem prim and proper in comparison.
        This is what Carl Czerny had to say:

"His attitude in playing was masterly in its tranquillity and refinement, without the slightest gesticulation (except bending over as his deafness increased) : his fingers were very strong, not long, and broadened at the tips by much playing."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0style&f=false
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
        X