This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning:
    Khachaturian: Incidental Music for Lermontov's "Masquerade" (1941)
    Nielsen: "Maskarade" (1904-06), Excerpts

Anyone else hiding under a mask?

Comment

Between not feeling overly well and a medical appointment that took up most of yesterday afternoon I did little listen. I did, however, venture to YouTube to hear one of my favorite mostly-orchestral passages from Wagner's "Lohengrin" No, it's neither one of the oft played preludes nor the Procession, though I greatly enjoy those too. I followed that up with Schumann's fourth symphony in the 1953 Furtwangler BPO studio performance, which contains what is in my opinion one of the best transitions from movements three to four in existence.

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      This morning:
      Khachaturian: Incidental Music for Lermontov's "Masquerade" (1941)
      Nielsen: "Maskarade" (1904-06), Excerpts

Anyone else hiding under a mask?
      There's always Verdi's Un Ballo Maschera, and of course masks play a key role in several scenes of Don Giovanni. One main character in Fledermaus remains masked for the whole of act 2. Doesn't....Hmmmm.
      Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-24-2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post

There's always Verdi's Un Ballo Maschera, and of course masks play a key role in several scenes of Don Giovanni. One main character in Fledermaus remains masked for the whole of act 2. Doesn't....Hmmmm.
        Thanks, I was trying to recall the name of Strauss' Opera, Die Fledermaus. Hope you are feeling better today!

Right now:
        Beethoven: Quartet, Op. 59, No. 2

Comment

Playing: Missa Surge Petre: Sanctus and Benedictus by Jacquet of Mantua
          🎹

Comment

Beethoven's Leonore conducted by Blomstedt
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              Beethoven's Leonore conducted by Blomstedt
              I love that recording!

Comment

Beethoven Sonata in A Op.101 - Murray Perahia
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  It can be a bit of a pain at five o'clock in the morning when they all start up for the day .... but I won't complain.

Anyway, today I'm listening to the first of the late piano sonatas, Opus 101, played by Ashkenazy. This was the first time Beethoven called one of his works a "Hammerklavier" as opposed to a "piano" sonata but the name is now only applied to his next sonata, Opus 106.

No, how can one complain about sweet little birds..
                  My Mum has a Blackbird sitting in a nest in her drainpipe by her back door. We are awaiting some little chirpers soon..

I like the term Hammerklavier.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                  Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    This morning:
                    Poulenc: Piano and Wind Sextet (1932-9)

No bird songs this morning. However, they have lodged a nest in my roof next to my bedroom window.
                    Aww you are fortunate like my Mum- you might see the little chirpers soon!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Playing: Sonata No. 2 In G Sharp Minor Op.19 (Sonata-Fantasia) For Piano by Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin
                      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                        : 24 Variations On 'Venni Amore' By Righini Woo.65 For Piano by Ludwig van Beethoven

9 Variations on a march by Dressler in C minor WoO.63 for piano
                        Performer: Ronald Brautigam.

I love those too Megan!
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Playing: Praeludium and allegro in the style of Gaetano Pugnani for violin and piano by Fritz Kreisler
                          🎹

Comment

Bruckner symphony no.4 / Georg Tintner
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've felt rather crappy since Sunday afternoon so have done relatively little serious music listening. I did listen to the Takacs quartet play B's Op.59 Nos.2 & 3 and the Tatrai Quartet play Haydn's Op.77 Nos.1 & 2 "Lobkowitz". Possibly due to health I was not overly ecstatic above any of these performances.

At YouTube I attempted to listen to several filmed interpretations of Beethoven's seventh symphony, but neither was fiery enough to suit me, which again might be partially due to not feeling well.

Comment

- Chopin - Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23

Krystian Zimerman - Chopin - Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Ce8p0VcTbuA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce8p0VcTbuA[/YOUTUBE]
                                Last edited by Megan; 04-29-2015, 03:34 PM.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X