X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This afternoon:

Beethoven: Quartets No. 6 and the Op. 59, No. 1

I used to consider Beethoven's symphonic output as his greatest legacy. After listening to some of these quartets again I am reconsidering that. The musical language employed here is simply remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      This afternoon:

I used to consider Beethoven's symphonic output as his greatest legacy. After listening to some of these quartets again I am reconsidering that. The musical language employed here is simply remarkable.
      Yep. Opus 59 No. 1 is my No. 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Having a bit of a late Beethoven binge over the past couple of days, sitting out in the sun (yes - sun!) and listening to all five (or six if you want to be pedantic) of the late quartets.
        The only problem is that after listening to those works, everything else is for the birds. So, as my house is surrounded by trees, I am now listening to the birds.
        Excellent Michael! Beethoven, Birds and The Sun! My faves also.
        Mr and Mrs Blackbird have been chirping a lot in my garden lately too. They are sweet little things and it is nice to hear something coming from outside besides police sirens, buses and ice cream vans.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

This afternoon:

They are beyond remarkable, extraordinary. Unbeaten then and unbeaten now.

I just LOVE this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgF6q8-MHjM[/YOUTUBE]
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

During supper today:

--Mozart, on CD, selections from "The Marriage of Figaro" arranged for wind octet by J.N.Vent (1745-1801) played by Collegium Musicum Pragense.
            --Brahms, on CD, Hungarian Dances No.1-15, Katia & Marielle Labeque, piano.

This afternoon:

Yeah, I l loved these works even back when I was almost wholly a symphony man with relatively little time for chamber music. They are remarkable from first to last (as are the symphonies).

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            They are beyond remarkable, extraordinary. Unbeaten then and unbeaten now.

I just LOVE this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgF6q8-MHjM[/YOUTUBE]
            This is as fine an Op.59 No.1 as I've heard. I neglected listening to the Vegh Beethoven quartet performances at YouTube since I own their second complete set on CD (and the Op.18s on both CD and LP). That was obviously a mistake. I've long known that many consider their earlier mono set, to which your link belongs, the better of the two. Judged solely by Op.59 No.1 I might be persuaded to agree.
            Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-19-2015, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
              Excellent Michael! Beethoven, Birds and The Sun! My faves also.
              Mr and Mrs Blackbird have been chirping a lot in my garden lately too. They are sweet little things and it is nice to hear something coming from outside besides police sirens, buses and ice cream vans.
              It can be a bit of a pain at five o'clock in the morning when they all start up for the day .... but I won't complain.

Anyway, today I'm listening to the first of the late piano sonatas, Opus 101, played by Ashkenazy. This was the first time Beethoven called one of his works a "Hammerklavier" as opposed to a "piano" sonata but the name is now only applied to his next sonata, Opus 106.

Last edited by Michael; 04-19-2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

: 24 Variations On 'Venni Amore' By Righini Woo.65 For Piano by Ludwig van Beethoven

9 Variations on a march by Dressler in C minor WoO.63 for piano
                Performer: Ronald Brautigam.
                🎹

Comment

This morning:
                  Poulenc: Piano and Wind Sextet (1932-9)

No bird songs this morning. However, they have lodged a nest in my roof next to my bedroom window.

Comment

Playing: Absalon fili mi by Pierre de la Rue & Stile Antico
                    🎹

Comment

Playing: Prelude and Love theme from ‘Spellbound’ by Miklós Rózsa

: Daniel Hope.
                      Orchestra: Kungliga Filharmonikerna.
                      Conductor: Alexander Shelley.

The violin is lovely and dreamy on this beautiful sunny morning.

Last edited by Megan; 04-21-2015, 08:53 AM.
                      🎹

Comment

Last night I found myself in the mood to hear what I consider one of the most touchingly beautiful musical utterances in the repertoire, the final movement of Mahler's third symphony. Of those I auditioned, pride of place goes to this take on the closing minutes, beginning a bit prior to the heart wrenching quiet brass-dominated chorale. I was particularly impressed by the solid brass work throughout the chorale, which can sound a bit shaky even in with top tier orchestras.

Sorrano's Poulenc reference reminded me that I've long enjoyed P's short Sonata for Brass Trio (trumpet, horn, trombone, 1922/rev.1945) but not heard it in years. I rectified that with this rendition at YouTube.

From there I went on to hear a staple of the brass quintet literature, Ewald's quintet No.1, heard here in what might be my favorite interpretation.

Comment

During lunch today I heard the Vegh Quartet perform B's delightful Op.18 No.6, a CD from their second Beethoven Quartet cycle.

During either lunch or supper yesterday I listened to a CD titled Gershwin, the Legendary Transcriptions of Percy Grainer, a collection of works including Porgy & Bess Fantasy and Rhapsody in Blue, performed by Richard and John Contiguglia duo pianists.

At YouTube I chanced on a 1981 concert recording of Mahler's third symphony performed by the Minnesota Symphony Orchestra under Klaus Tennstedt. I found most of the opening movement magnificent, raw and wild, which suite it well. Problems set in later on so that I can't give it a wholehearted recommendation except for movement one. But that movement is most definitely worth hearing.

ADDENDUM: I almost forgot to mention that I listened to Mendelssohn's Concerto for violin, piano and strings D minor in its entirety. (See AH's separate thread.) It's quite a nice piece, as one would expect from the source.
                          Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-22-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

This morning:
                            Mackenzie: "Twelfth Night," Op 40
                            Moeran: "Songs of Springtime"

Happy birthday to William Shakespeare!

Comment

Listening to Radio Mozart here in Heiligenstadt this morning.
                              "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Listening to a few early works that don't have an opus number, such as the "Ritterballet", WoO No. 1 and the "Gratulations" minuet and some more entertaining odds and ends. They are all scattered over a huge amount of discs so I'm thinking of burning a few CDs of the shorter ones, for easier access.

(Beethoven, by the way).

Comment

Working...
                                X