Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During lunch today, Porkofiev string quartets No.1 in B minor, Op.50 & No.2 in F major, Op.92 performed by the Sequoia String Quartet on a nonesuch CD. I must confess that, post-romantic philistine that I often am (with numerous exceptions), these works do next to nothing for me. I don't dislike them, mind you. They just don't move me. On the other hand, I'm rather taken with his Cello Sonata Op.119.

During a meal yesterday or the day before, Mozart sonatas for fortepiano and violin in B-flat K.454, in A K.526, in F K.547 performed by Malcom Bilson fortepiano and Sergiu Luca violin, on another nonesuch CD. These are far more to my liking. The fortepiano sounds wholly appropriate for these works.

ADDENDUM: During supper tonight, on a Philips CD, JS Bach's sonatas for violin and harpsichord BWV 1017-1019, plus Adagio BWV 1019a/2 and Cantabile, ma un poco adagio BWV 1019a/1, performed by Monica Huggett, baroque violin and Ton Koopman, Harpsichord.
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

This morning:
      Dvorák: Wind Serenade in d, Op 44

Comment

During supper yesterday, early Mozart symphonies on CD:
        -- No.1 in E-flat, K16
        -- No.4 in D, K19
        -- in F, K19a
        -- No.5 in B-flat, K22
        -- in D, K32
        -- in D, K73/ [K81]
        -- in D, K73m [K97]
        The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood.

Later in the evening at YouTube, a TV interview entitled Andras Schiff on Bach, which includes a decent amount of fine playing.

Earlier in the day at YouTube, AH's Mozart in Prague, discussed in another thread.

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        This morning:
        Dvorák: Wind Serenade in d, Op 44
        A wonderful piece of music. One of "the" great wind ensemble works imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
          During supper yesterday, early Mozart symphonies on CD:
          -- No.1 in E-flat, K16
          -- No.4 in D, K19
          -- in F, K19a
          -- No.5 in B-flat, K22
          -- in D, K32
          -- in D, K73/ [K81]
          -- in D, K73m [K97]
          The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood.

Later in the evening at YouTube, a TV interview entitled Andras Schiff on Bach, which includes a decent amount of fine playing.

Earlier in the day at YouTube, AH's Mozart in Prague, discussed in another thread.

A wonderful piece of music. One of "the" great wind ensemble works imo.
          Seems that every time I hear something from Dvorak (on the radio) I realize how much I really do like his music.
          What is your take on the early Mozart Symphonies? They did not do too much for me, but I've really gotten into his divertimenti.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDGLfJdtPI8[/YOUTUBE]

Unbelievably beautiful musicianship from a 10-year-old harpist

Young Russian harpist Alisa Sadikova is astonishing. At seven she played Carnegie Hall, and once in double digits attended St Petersburg’s State Conservatory. Here she is, age 10, performing an utterly exquisite piece - The Fountain, by Marcel L. Grandjany.
            Read more at http://www.classicfm.com/discover/mu...bgdU1JoBrBd.99
            🎹

Comment

Mozart Symphonies 41,40,39,38,34,35/Sir Charles Mackerras
              Zevy

Comment

Outstanding!!!

Period Performance.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU5tWreVNYc[/YOUTUBE]
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

During lunch yesterday, on CD, Dvorak's Serenade for Strings Op.22 and Serenade for Winds Op.44 performed by a conductorless Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.

During supper yesterday, on CD, Vivaldi's 6 Concerti Op.10 played by Michala Petri on alto, soprano and sopranino recorders with the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Iona Brown.

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  What is your take on the early Mozart Symphonies? They did not do too much for me, but I've really gotten into his divertimenti.
                  My take on the early Mozart symphonies is much as yours. I find them well made works worth occasional hearings. But they are after all the early fruits of a man destined achieve far greater things. I too enjoy a good many of Mozart's divertimenti and other "lite" music. The Divertimento in E-flat for string trio K.563 is a special favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                    Period Performance.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU5tWreVNYc[/YOUTUBE]
                    This is quite an outstanding performance. I have a few discs of Bruno Weil and Tafelmusik playing Haydn Masses and other church music, and they are excellent there as well. Great playing by Vera Beths here too.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
                      I too enjoy a good many of Mozart's divertimenti and other "lite" music.
                      The Divertimento in E-flat for string trio K.563 is a special favorite.
                      Mozart wrote great music throughout his life, and I know it does not need my approbation. I know that many like to call earlier works "light" to differentiate between them and his later, more scholarly pieces. K. 563 is titled "Divertimento", but it is a very mature work. I love it. I have many recordings of it, and I have also seen it performed a while back in NYC by P. Zukerman (on violin).
                      Zevy

Comment

Debussy - 'La Mer'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                          Mozart wrote great music throughout his life, and I know it does not need my approbation. I know that many like to call earlier works "light" to differentiate between them and his later, more scholarly pieces. K. 563 is titled "Divertimento", but it is a very mature work. I love it. I have many recordings of it, and I have also seen it performed a while back in NYC by P. Zukerman (on violin).
                          Ya know, I hesitated using the term "lite" to describe K.563 and similar works, hence the quotes. K.563 is most definitely mature both chronologically and musically. What I hoped to convey is that while the divertimento as a form was, during Mozart's day, associated with "lite" or "occasional" music, K.563 is anything but "lite" musically.

Comment

Having a bit of a late Beethoven binge over the past couple of days, sitting out in the sun (yes - sun!) and listening to all five (or six if you want to be pedantic) of the late quartets.
                            The only problem is that after listening to those works, everything else is for the birds. So, as my house is surrounded by trees, I am now listening to the birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              The only problem is that after listening to those works, everything else is for the birds. So, as my house is surrounded by trees, I am now listening to the birds.
                              Isn't that a work by Messaien?

This morning: Beethoven String Quartet No. 5

Comment

Debussy; Jeux and Iberia from Images.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X