• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning:
    Berlioz: "The Damnation of Faust," Op 24 Aria, "Autrefois un roi de Thulé"
    also: Minuet Wisps, Dance Sylphs, Rakoczy March

Beethoven: Consecration of the House Overture

Comment

Yesterday evening I listened to the WQXR Beethoven quartet marathon rendition of Op.130 by the American String Quartet in which they revert to the Grosse Fuse as finale movement (YouTube). Immediately afterward I listened to the Takacs Quartet play the Grosse Fuge Op.133 (also as YouTube).

This morning at YouTube I heard Grosse Fuge in B Major, op. 133 played by the strings of the Vienna Philharmonic under Wilhelm Furtwängler, recorded live at at the Salzburg Festival, 1954.

During lunch today, B's string quartet Op.18 No.6 performed by the Vegh Quartet on CD. After all these years its ingeniously witty scherzo amazes me, the more so for being a relatively early work. (Though written in 3/4 time, all but the trio sounds as if it is in 2/4 with triplet subdivision on the quarter-note.)

ADDENDUM: During supper tonight, B's string quartets Op.74 & 127 played by the Vegh Quartet on CD.

I forgot to mention that after hearing and enjoying the Artemis Quartet's take on B's Op.95 I watched / heard their and Truls Mork's rendition of a portion of the Scherzo (Presto) from Schubert's String Quintet D956.
      Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-09-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        String Quartet in E flat, Opus 74.

Another one of Beethoven's waifs. Like the F minor, this does not belong to a set and the pizzicato effects in the first moment have given this work the rather stupid nickname of the "Harp Quartet", which has mislead many first-time listeners into thinking it was a work for four harps.

Another fascinating thing about this piece is its relationship to the Fifth Symphony. The third movement of the quartet is in C minor, and has the famous rhythm that pervades the symphony, and on its last repeat, the main theme goes very quiet and leads into the last movement, again just like the symphony. Here the resemblance ends because the final movement of this quartet is a rather relaxed set of variations.

I think the coda of the first movement is one of the most exciting passages that Beethoven ever wrote.
        I love that 3rd movement. My children once videotaped me "conducting" it while (whilst in UK) driving! I guess I was pretty excited....
        Zevy

Comment

Bach 4 Suites for Lute / John Williams, Guitar
          Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
            I love that 3rd movement. My children once videotaped me "conducting" it while (whilst in UK) driving! I guess I was pretty excited....
            I hope you weren't stopped for speeding, like Herbert von Karajan. His excuse to the police was: "How can you drive slowly to Beethoven?".

Comment

I hope you weren't stopped for speeding, like Herbert von Karajan. His excuse to the police was: "How can you drive slowly to Beethoven?".
              Interesting, Michael, that you ask that question. Most people I know drive faster when they get excited. I am completely the opposite; when I concentrate on the music I begin to drive much slower. Try telling that to the cop...
              Zevy

Comment

Sorrano, I don't find out the way to PM you with my software. Would you please tell me how I can say, in English of course, "No dejo de maravillarme ante esta obra"?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                  Sorrano, I don't find out the way to PM you with my software. Would you please tell me how I can say, in English of course, "No dejo de maravillarme ante esta obra"?
                  One way to translate that is, "This work never ceases to amaze me." It isn't exact, but it conveys the meaning fairly well.

Comment

Also, when you want to PM someone, click on the link "Private Messages" in the upper right hand of the screen (just below your name) and on the screen that follows (left side and a bit down) look for "Send New Message".

Comment

Thanks for your posts, Sorrano. I hope you're doing well.

Comment

Listening to Composer of the Week, Frederic Chopin on BBC Radio 3.
                        Plus a discussion about his disastrous tour of Britain and his time in Scotland.

Berceuse In D Flat Major Op.57 For Piano
                        Performer: Maria João Pires.

Playing: 2 Nocturnes Op.55 For Piano - no 1 by Frédéric Chopin

2 Nocturnes Op.55 For Piano - no.2
                        Performer: Claudio Arrau.

12 Studies Op.25 For Piano - no.1 in A flat major;
                        Performer: Samson François.

12 Studies Op.25 For Piano - . no.2 in F minor;
                        Performer: Samson François

Last edited by Megan; 04-10-2015, 06:27 PM.
                        🎹

Comment

Palestrina - Missa Brevis
                          The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips

Truly glorious music for the Octave of Easter!

Comment

How are we doing with the folksong arrangements, PDG?
                            I think Beethoven should have told Thomson to give them to Bob Dylan instead. The harmonica would have added so much...

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                              Listening to Composer of the Week, Frederic Chopin on BBC Radio 3.
                              Plus a discussion about his disastrous tour of Britain and his time in Scotland.

Berceuse In D Flat Major Op.57 For Piano
                              Performer: Maria João Pires.

Playing: 2 Nocturnes Op.55 For Piano - no 1 by Frédéric Chopin

2 Nocturnes Op.55 For Piano - no.2
                              Performer: Claudio Arrau.

12 Studies Op.25 For Piano - no.1 in A flat major;
                              Performer: Samson François.

12 Studies Op.25 For Piano - . no.2 in F minor;
                              Performer: Samson François

Hi Megan.

Did they mention that he played for Queen Victoria? Later, she recalled how "there was some pianist who played". Well observed there, Vicky, love. He was, indeed, "some" pianist...

Comment

Yes, Michael. Wasn't it the finale of the 7th (Op. 92) that von Karajan said he'd been immersed in while at the wheel?...

Comment

Working...
                                X