1st performances of the Eroica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st performances of the Eroica

Here's my question: when did the first performance(s) of the Eroica take place?

And were the times it was played at the Lobkowitz Palace rehearsals, rather than performances, or is the distinction a fuzzy one anway?

Looking in different places, I get answers from 3 January, 7 April and 9 June 1805 as first performances. I feel fairly confident that 7 April was a public performance in the Theater an der Wien, which would probably put any hearings at the Lobkowitz Palace at an earlier date... or am I totally confused?

Albert

There's a well done BBC (who else?) recreation of the Eroica 'performance' held at Lobkowitz palace 9 June 1804. I quite like it. As a literal representation of what occurred that day much of it is malarkey. But much of what the actors say was indeed said. Not always at this play-through. Not always by the persons the film has mouth it. Not always in the exact wording heard (and certainly not in English). But it was said of, to, and by Beethoven and his creation. The gist of it in any case. Fine performance too! Too fine for what was likely heard that day, but hey...what do ya want?
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 02-06-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, The Eroica already performed several times at Lobkowitz's palace, received its first public performance April 7th 1805,at Franz Clement's benefit concert, with Beethoven conducting.
      Last edited by Megan; 02-06-2015, 03:42 PM.
      🎹

Comment

The date I have is June 9th 1804 for the first private Lobkowitz performance. There was another in December that year prior to the public performance on 7th April 1805.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

It is quite intricate, this story, because I also have sources mentioning a first semi-public performance at banker Würtz's house, on 20 January 1804. And I have also 7 April 1804 (yes, o four) for Theater an der Wien as the first public performance. Hence my question, as there seem to be various dates floating around.
          Also, the famous 'crossing-out' anecdote of Bonaparte on the score, did that happen before the symphony was finished, or after? Might be of interest, because then the question arises to what extent that influenced the composition (or not....). Not that it makes any difference in terms of the quality of the music, of course !

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
            It is quite intricate, this story, because I also have sources mentioning a first semi-public performance at banker Würtz's house, on 20 January 1804. And I have also 7 April 1804 (yes, o four) for Theater an der Wien as the first public performance. Hence my question, as there seem to be various dates floating around.
            Also, the famous 'crossing-out' anecdote of Bonaparte on the score, did that happen before the symphony was finished, or after? Might be of interest, because then the question arises to what extent that influenced the composition (or not....). Not that it makes any difference in terms of the quality of the music, of course !
            The crossing out has to be after the work was completed as it occurred after Napoleon was crowned Emperor on Dec 2nd 1804 and the first known private performance was earlier in April.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Peter,

Thanks for that. The announcement that Napoleon would become Emperor, I read somewhere, was made in May 1804, which could put the crossing out incident a little earlier. Although I do realise that in the texts, it is said that he was 'crowned'.
              It would mean that if the symphony was indeed played for the first time in 1804, rather than 1805, that you are right.
              There also seems to be contradicting arguments, or at least unclarity on the performance in January 1804 (5?) at banker Würtz's place and the fact that Lobkowitz had acquired rights over the symphony for six months... Beethoven again cleverly playing two horses there?

Comment

Working...
              X