"The Joy of Mozart"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Joy of Mozart"

This is short notice but for those of you who can get BBC, the following programme is on tonight (Sunday, 21st Jan) at 9pm on BBC 4.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04yrj6n

Thanks for the heads-up, Michael.

Comment

Thanks Michael.
      🎹

Comment

Yes Michael thanks for that - it's very useful when members post interesting programmes as I never watch tv normally and so have no idea what's on!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Watched it last night. It is really good. They showed Mozart's Walter FP and his little clavichord being played- that was very special! Also, Kristian Bezeidenhout, the fortepianist was on it!

For those outside of Britian, you can see it on you tube.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt3ilJwXtms[/YOUTUBE]
          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 01-20-2015, 02:59 PM.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Very enjoyable. I wonder, however, why every time the presenter mentioned the fact that Mozart played billiards, the sound of a billiard ball being hit had to be played over the soundtrack. We got it.

Also, there was a little too much sampling of Viennese pastries and chocolates by the presenter. Simon Russell Beale's documentary on the symphony also suffered from the same confectionary overdose.

It was fascinating to see Mozart's string quartet score. When he really settled down to writing these quartets, even this wunderkind had problems, as witness all the corrections. The scores still look incredibly neat compared to Beethoven's battlefields!

Comment

Very enjoyable. I wonder, however, why every time the presenter mentioned the fact that Mozart played billiards, the sound of a billiard ball being hit had to be played over the soundtrack. We got it.
              Yeah lol. Wolfgang liked billiards!

Also, there was a little too much sampling of Viennese pastries and chocolates by the presenter. Simon Russell Beale's documentary on the symphony also suffered from the same confectionary overdose.
              Well they are supposed to be pretty good. Maybe that is why they have Mozart chocolate balls there- he liked Billiards don't you know!

It was fascinating to see Mozart's string quartet score. When he really settled down to writing these quartets, even this wunderkind had problems, as witness all the corrections. The scores still look incredibly neat compared to Beethoven's battlefields!
              Yes, I loved Mozart's book- so special to see that.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
              Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I think it's a far more interesting than the legend (even if it makes for a great scene). I actually think it adds poignancy to the story, and makes the Salieri character far more tragic. Perhaps if he saw Mozart struggle, he wouldn't have become so bitter and resentful; it's sometimes humbling and inspiring to see those you admire struggle.

Those Haydn quartets are unusual for Mozart in the time it tooks to compose them, and it shows, as they are packed with creativity and inventiveness. I do think Mozart owed a lot to his own genius, and sometimes (more often than I would like) took the 'easy' way, in which case I can totally see him composing entire works without mistakes. I would think you would see less of this as you study his Vienna works, as these works show a distinct departure from the niceties and comforts of classical music, and instead show a tremendous amount of originality.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                  I think it's a far more interesting than the legend (even if it makes for a great scene). I actually think it adds poignancy to the story, and makes the Salieri character far more tragic. Perhaps if he saw Mozart struggle, he wouldn't have become so bitter and resentful; it's sometimes humbling and inspiring to see those you admire struggle.

Yes, the presenter, Tom Service, said he wanted to explode the "chocolate" image of Mozart (even though he consumed enough of them) and show the harder edge and originality of the music. I was a bit disappointed that he did not give more attention to Mozart's symphonies - especially the last half-dozen.

Comment

Working...
                  X