Guess - what a piece is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess - what a piece is this?

Recently, while on a tour with my bycicle in a very beautiful landscape I was listening to a wonderful and visionary piece of music. Right away I got the desire to listen to it in an orchestrated form, so I did an orchestration.
    My question is - do you recognise the composer or even the piece itself?

www.gerdprengel.de/orchestration.mp3

Enjoy, Gerd

I know I ought to know it Gerd, but I can't place it...
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

A Schubert song?

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
        A Schubert song?
        It sounds like Schubert to me as well, but I don't recognise the piece.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Gerd?
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I was also going to guess Schubert, but I don't know the piece either. I really like the orchestration, though. Very nice.

Comment

Yes, you are very good - of course it can be only Schubert. It is indeed one of his latest - and most beautiful songs:

Here the best version, with Fischer-Dieskau:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oJWk3DschM

and here with notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7bE5QCoxmM

Gerd

Comment

Beautiful Poor Schubert, he was so melancholy. I have to confess that for the first bars I was thinking Sibelius but then it didn't sound "modern" enough for 20th century. Thank you for sharing this, I love Schubert's lieds but didn't know this one! Goes well with the season too (Herbst= autumn)
                Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Here I post to you now a new orchestration of one of the great classical music pieces. Do you know what piece it is originally? (it should not be too difficult). What do you think of my arrangement?

www.gerdprengel.de/orchestration2.mp3

Gerd

Comment

Just seen this post as I've been away - you have a great talent for orchestration Gerd! To my shame I've no idea what it is!!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi Peter, interesting that this work does not seem to be so known. Did you have an idea regarding the composer? I think it is very obvious that it can be only Schubert, especially when you listen to the second theme and the most beautiful last part of the development. Well, it is the first movement of Schubert wonderful piano sonata in a-minor from 1823 (one year after the "Unfinished" symphony).

Here is the score:

www.gerdprengel.de/Schubert_Sonate_am-1_orch.pdf

And here the original performed by the great Alfred Brendel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIoXhuR-xQ

Gerd

Comment

Hello Gerd, yes I suspected Schubert, but how ridiculous of me not to recognise that sonata!! Head bowed in shame, but I put it down to the many distractions going on in my life at present.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I love this sonata from Schubert so much, that I orchestrated now also the second movement, the wonderful Andante:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Schubert_S...dagio_orch.mp3

Comment

Recently I heard in youtube a wonderful piece which was one of the most fascinating discoveries of this year for me. Does somebody recognise the work or at least the composer?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece.mp3

Gerd

Comment

Is it a Mozart overture? It's not one I know! Could it be Salieri or Hummel?
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X