• Show
Clear All

An interesting documentary

Fascinating to see and learn from the great Nadia Boulanger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW7GiX4-hPc

or a shorter excerpt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwvr47DZekk
    'Man know thyself'

Very good documentary Peter. I listened to the shorter version, but shall listen again to the longer version when I get a quiet time. Her discussion on music theory is fascinating. I think Nadia is a formidable teacher and has great insights. I think she would scare me stiff though. She mentions sadly that she had to let two students go, even though they had ability and were gifted and intelligent, she mentions that they lacked character and élan or something, but could that not be delveloped if they were very young? Obviously attention and concentration and technique are markers for learning, and should be encouraged too. It would seem very harsh not to give opportunity to students who showed abilty.
    Last edited by Megan; 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM.
    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      Very good documentary Peter. I listened to the shorter version, but shall listen again to the longer version when I get a quiet time. Her discussion on music theory is fascinating. I think Nadia is a formidable teacher and has great insights. I think she would scare me stiff though. She mentions sadly that she had to let two students go, even though they had ability and were gifted and intelligent, she mentions that they lacked character and élan or something, but could that not be delveloped if they were very young? Obviously attention and concentration and technique are markers for learning, and should be encouraged too. It would seem very harsh not to give opportunity to students who showed abilty.
      Yes we're very fortunate to have this record of one of the most influential music teachers of the 20th century. You have to remember she was teaching at the highest level with only the best students - it's a different ball game to your average music teacher. Those students she let go, may well have been adult and even if they weren't, she was experienced enough to know if a person had that extra special quality necessary in a first rate artist. She was in effect being totally honest in not raising false hopes in those who are aiming for a professional artistic career.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X