At last some common sense regarding music education:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27858859
    'Man know thyself'

Yes, indeed! Quite a turnaround!

Comment

Wonderful news!
      🎹

Comment

Great! But will it lead to music lessons in state schools? My school was so crap there wasn't even a piano and no music lessons.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

In 3rd grade I was introduced to classical music in the classroom. It didn't have an immediate effect, but some years later the music of Beethoven in particular haunted me enough that I had to find the source of the passages that were remained in mind. It was a good foundational event, although it took years for it to really germinate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            In 3rd grade I was introduced to classical music in the classroom. It didn't have an immediate effect, but some years later the music of Beethoven in particular haunted me enough that I had to find the source of the passages that were remained in mind. It was a good foundational event, although it took years for it to really germinate.
            Nicola Benedetti makes the point that it's how it's presented to children that is important:

"Two aspects of the project stand out for me," she said.

"The first is the sheer size. With over 150 organisations involved and the power of the BBC, the number of children likely to experience classical music could be enormous, and I hope will be.

"The second is the quality with which classical music will be presented to the children, many of them probably for the very first time - first exposure can be vitally important, igniting a positive lifelong association with this great art form."
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
              Great! But will it lead to music lessons in state schools? My school was so crap there wasn't even a piano and no music lessons.
              I know, most primary schools don't have the facilities or the staff and from my experience those that make an effort all seem to do Clarinet - makes a change from the recorder I suppose! Still if it lights a spark in just one child in the classroom it will have been worth it.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                I know, most primary schools don't have the facilities or the staff and from my experience those that make an effort all seem to do Clarinet - makes a change from the recorder I suppose! Still if it lights a spark in just one child in the classroom it will have been worth it.
                Yes, maybe some will have parents who can afford to buy them a violin or something and get a private teacher in. Those like me who didn't have no chance, which is why the schools should by law provide music lessons of some sort. There are plenty of music grads who could go in and teach but the skinflint government would rather spend the money on wars.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Yes, maybe some will have parents who can afford to buy them a violin or something and get a private teacher in. Those like me who didn't have no chance, which is why the schools should by law provide music lessons of some sort. There are plenty of music grads who could go in and teach but the skinflint government would rather spend the money on wars.
                  Well why not learn now? It isn't too late - ok you won't be a great virtuoso, but you'll still get plenty of enjoyment and be able to make good progress. I agree cutting music funding in schools is short sighted and counter productive given all the known benefits.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well why not learn now? It isn't too late - ok you won't be a great virtuoso, but you'll still get plenty of enjoyment and be able to make good progress. I agree cutting music funding in schools is short sighted and counter productive given all the known benefits.
                    I have tried, but I cannot read music for toffee. I am past it now. Still my old Cecil looks nice in my lounge and guests/friends can come and play him.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I have tried, but I cannot read music for toffee. I am past it now. Still my old Cecil looks nice in my lounge and guests/friends can come and play him.
                      Reading music isn't hard - after all we only use 7 letters (A-G) - Nor are you past it if you're able to use the internet!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Reading music isn't hard - after all we only use 7 letters (A-G) - Nor are you past it if you're able to use the internet!
                        I know the piano keys- it is remembering what dots are what letters on the piano keys, and timing the beats that is the problem- I just can't do it. I am dyslexic in maths and it has a huge effect on my ability ( or lack of it) to read music. I can memorise chords and noodle about, that's it.

And the internet and basic computing is far easier than sheet music!
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I know the piano keys- it is remembering what dots are what letters on the piano keys, and timing the beats that is the problem- I just can't do it. I am dyslexic in maths and it has a huge effect on my ability ( or lack of it) to read music. I can memorise chords and noodle about, that's it.

And the internet and basic computing is far easier than sheet music!
                          Oh well, never mind, you're probably a brilliant painter instead! A creative outlet is important.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Oh well, never mind, you're probably a brilliant painter instead! A creative outlet is important.
                            Nope....not that either...it's fiction writing that I seem to be good at.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Going back to the topic, as there are many countries represented here on this forum I'm curious: how common is it that there are no mandatory art classes in public schools? By art I mean both music and visual arts. I went to a very ordinary public school in Northern Europe and from first class onwards, aged 7, we had mandatory music and visual arts classes every week up until the 8th grade, when one could choose either one (or both) as a voluntary subject - all this for free of charge.

I'm quite upset about the unequal status some children are suffering inside EU even, shows what kind of bottle I have been living inside in...really, had no idea.

From my experience I can say that even though only a few pupils really take sth out from for example the education we received about classical music, at least all of them can say they went to the theatre/opera/ballet/art gallery even once, thanks to the field trips. Everybody should have that opportunity - art belongs to everyone!
                              Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Working...
                              X