This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
    Thanks a lot. I've had some pleasurable moments because you've made me watch some scenes from it. It was an all-negro cast (1993). Trevor Nunn was the director.
    Did you get the meaning, then, in the last sentence? Glad you got something out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Did you get the meaning, then, in the last sentence? Glad you got something out of that.
      Oh I think I did: there are many that stand alone = many others have something unique in them.

Comment

Mahler - symphony no.2.

Strange, when I was in my 20s and 30s, I preferred Mahler to Bruckner, now it's the other way round!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Mahler - symphony no.2.

Strange, when I was in my 20s and 30s, I preferred Mahler to Bruckner, now it's the other way round!
          I never really have gotten much into Mahler, but have several of his symphonies. Now I just need to find some time to listen to them.

Comment

Listening to Fidelio in English. Very nice and refreshing change from the original German version. The German with Janowitz (1978 Bernstein) will always be my favorite, but it is nice to hear the English, even though I can't always understand what is being said.

"Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I didn't know Fidelio had been performed in English. How does the flow of the music fit with English lyrics?
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
              Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Mahler - symphony no.2.

I'm at the stage now where I've only just recently 'got' Mahler. I used to find his music rather overwrought. It was the 6th symphony that did it for me.

This is just wonderful. I really like this performance, too (although the sound volume is pretty low on the Youtube video). The dimming of the lights and the audience silence at the end was rather appropriate I feel. The ending is transcendent.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                  I'm at the stage now where I've only just recently 'got' Mahler. I used to find his music rather overwrought. It was the 6th symphony that did it for me.

This is just wonderful. I really like this performance, too (although the sound volume is pretty low on the Youtube video). The dimming of the lights and the audience silence at the end was rather appropriate I feel. The ending is transcendent.
                  Yes the 6th is my favourite as well, his greatest I think.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

This festive morning:
                    Collins: "Mardi Gras" (1923)
                    Milhaud: "Carnaval à la Nouvelle Orléans," Op 275 (1947)

Comment

I was listening to my new Karajan CD of the Ninth.
                      Now I am listening to my new Peter Maag CD of the Ninth.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                        I didn't know Fidelio had been performed in English. How does the flow of the music fit with English lyrics?
                        It is very well done. The lyrics fit the music well as far as I can tell. Just listened to Floristan's aria and the gravedigging duet after looking at your post and it flows very nicely. This group, Peter Moores Foundation, has a number of operas they have recorded in English.

Some of it is curiously amusing such as the opening of the Abscheulicher recitative which begins with "Vile murderer! Sadistic swine!" Or Pizarro when he finds out that the prisoners have been let out of their cells, says to Rocco, "Presumptious idiot, who are you to take such a liberty with me?."
                        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                          It is very well done. The lyrics fit the music well as far as I can tell. Just listened to Floristan's aria and the gravedigging duet after looking at your post and it flows very nicely. This group, Peter Moores Foundation, has a number of operas they have recorded in English.

Some of it is curiously amusing such as the opening of the Abscheulicher recitative which begins with "Vile murderer! Sadistic swine!" Or Pizarro when he finds out that the prisoners have been let out of their cells, says to Rocco, "Presumptious idiot, who are you to take such a liberty with me?."
                          Well now I can listen to Fidelio whilst reading my Fidelio book I got today, that has the English translation underneath the German! ( See the Beethoven collection thread...)

What scene is the Abscheulicher recitative in?
                          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 05-30-2014, 05:31 PM.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Now the Ninth played by the Esterhazy Sinfonia. I got this CD a few weeks ago on ebay- shame on me, but I cannot remember if I listened to it before now!
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Now the Ninth played by the Esterhazy Sinfonia. I got this CD a few weeks ago on ebay- shame on me, but I cannot remember if I listened to it before now!
                              Ah, I have several Ninths that I have not listened to yet. Had them for months too.

I don't think I have the Esterhazy one in my 33/9ths collection.

What scene is the Abscheulicher recitative in?
                              That is where Leonora overhears Pizarro plotting murder. There is a recitative and aria, very wonderful. Here is Gundula Janowitz doing it with the tail end of the murder plotting up front (1977, whereas the 1978 with Bernstein is far better but not on You Tube):
                              Video Link.

Comment

Ah, I have several Ninths that I have not listened to yet. Had them for months too.
                                I am not surprised- you have about 40 of them or something don't you!

I don't think I have the Esterhazy one in my 33/9ths collection.
                                It's good!

That is where Leonora overhears Pizarro plotting murder. There is a recitative and aria, very wonderful. Here is Gundula Janowitz doing it with the tail end of the murder plotting up front (1977, whereas the 1978 with Bernstein is far better but not on You Tube):
                                Video Link.
                                Thanks got it on now. Great set!
                                Ludwig van Beethoven
                                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                                X