Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been listening to Mendelssohn's Elijah a lot over the last few days. Here is the full thing on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMTzryAnrk I really love this work, it's quickly becoming one of my top favorites!
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

This morning:
      Beethoven: Symphony #2 in D, Op 36
      Zürich Tonhalle Orch, David Zinman

I thought the tempo of the first movement was particularly slow. Overall the performance was okay.

Comment

Bach: Magnificat
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

His Violin sonata in G major, op 96 from my boxed set.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Bach: Magnificat
            I once used to play the Et misericordia each time I arrived home. I think the Universe was created for the purpose of producing it and everything else is a byproduct (the rest of the Magnificat excepted).
            Last edited by Enrique; 06-21-2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment

All nine of his symphonies while on a 5 hour drive this afternoon. 1-8 Gunter Wand. 9 Ferenc Fricsay.
              "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
              --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                I've been listening to Mendelssohn's Elijah a lot over the last few days. Here is the full thing on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMTzryAnrk I really love this work, it's quickly becoming one of my top favorites!
                You've got me listening to this now Rocco!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

He is rubbing off. Now I am going to have to purchase a copy. Funny thing is I picked it up at the library, first time I ever heard of it, and then didn't have time to listen and returned it. Later Rocco found out it is being performed at Hill Auditorum on the University of Michigan campus next February and got interested. So we will be attending that for sure.
                  "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Next on my play list (just got this today) with real cannon and gun blasts on Wellington's Victory:

The story behind Wellington's Victory and the mechanical orchestra.
                    Last edited by Harvey; 06-23-2014, 05:03 AM.

Comment

The Romance in F. I always seem to come back to this No matter where I'm listening to it and under what circumstances, it gives me the feeling of being at home.
                      Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrika View Post
                        The Romance in F. I always seem to come back to this No matter where I'm listening to it and under what circumstances, it gives me the feeling of being at home.
                        It's quite perfect.
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Bach's powerful Fantasy and Fugue in G minor BWV 542. These great works by Bach inspire awe.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                            You've got me listening to this now Rocco!
                            Hahaha! It is a absolutely wonderful work! I've listened to it probably about 30+ times in the last 4 days! It has such a powerful message in it! I just bought a CD of it off of amazon today for about $8.50 (USD) shipped. But it is coming from the UK so it will take a few weeks.. I think I have Elijahitis!
                            For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Just ordered my Elijah off Amazon for $7.50 shipped. Paul Daniel conducting the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment and the Edinburgh Festival Chorus. Coming from Europe so will take a few weeks.

Meanwhile the copy of Rossini's La Cenerentola ought to be arriving in the next week or so, also from Europe. It's the London Symphony and Scottish Opera Chorus conducted by Abbado.
                              Last edited by Harvey; 06-23-2014, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                                Just ordered my Elijah off Amazon for $7.50 shipped. Paul Daniel conducting the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment and the Edinburgh Festival Chorus. Coming from Europe so will take a few weeks.

Meanwhile the copy of Rossini's La Cenerentola ought to be arriving in the next week or so, also from Europe. It's the London Symphony and Scottish Opera Chorus conducted by Abbado.
                                I've seen 'La Cenerentola' twice - not by choice, but a friend had tickets for Glyndebourne one year and Covent Garden a few years later, and unfortunately the same opera! Still it was a great experience and there is some lovely music in old Rossini.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X