Most beautiful Beethoven melody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most beautiful Beethoven melody?

I really think for me, it has to be the variations ( mvt 3) in Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109. I will never ever, forget the first time I heard that. It took my breath away, and had me in raptures.

There is just some mysterious beauty to it that I cannot define.

It has just been on his radio- it always makes me stop what I am doing.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

An impossible question to answer for me - there are so many, but Op.109 has to be up there, the variation theme is indeed sublime.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

After I listen to my 87 CD Beethoven collection a couple dozen times I may begin to be qualified to post a response to this question. Could be a long wait though.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

The final movement of the Pastoral Symphony and the third movement of the first Razumovsky quartet.

Comment

The second movement of the Op. 90 piano sonata has always stood out to me as one of Beethoven's most beautiful melodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            An impossible question to answer for me - there are so many, but Op.109 has to be up there, the variation theme is indeed sublime.

It is a hard one to answer Peter.. the effect of this never ends...sublime it is indeed.

Oh and let's not forget the Cavatina...
            Last edited by AeolianHarp; 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

There are indeed so many, but the first melody which came to my mind after reading the question was: the second theme of the 3rd movement of the Ninth symphony (Andante), especially in the form of it's second occurance as it is performed by the woodwinds and the violins accompany it in the most sublime way - a beauty which is indescribable!

A less known melody which I am thinking of is the wonderful melody in B-Major of the piano fantasy op. 77 or the gorgeous marcia with chorus "Schmuecket die Altaere" in Eb from the "Ruins of Athens"!

Of course I can also fully agree with AeoleanHarp with reference to the Andante theme from sonata op. 109. Actually it was this melody which gave me the first impulse to begin orchestrating the late piano sonatas and quartetts! It has been a most delighting experience for me to listen to this melody and its variations in a symphonic form! And its interesting - on the same afternoon I got this impuls, I also got the desire to orchestrate the Cavatina, exactly the second melody which AeolianHarp mentioned :-)

Gerd
              Last edited by gprengel; 03-06-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

There are indeed so many, but the first melody which came to my mind after reading the question was: the second theme of the 3rd movement of the Ninth symphony (Andante), especially in the form of it's second occurance as it is performed by the woodwinds and the violins accompany it in the most sublime way - a beauty which is indescribable!
                Indeed Gerd! This Andante is gorgeous.

A less known melody which I am thinking of is the wonderful meldody in B-Major of the piano fantasy op. 77.
                I adore this too Gerd!!!

Of course I can also fully agree with AeoleanHarp with reference to the Andante theme from sonata op. 109. Actually it was this melody which gave me the first impulse to begin orchestrating the late piano sonatas and quartetts! It has been a most delighting experience for me to listen to this melody and its variations in a symphonic form! And its interesting - on the same afternoon I got this impulse I also got the desire to orchestrate the Cavatina, exactly the second melody which AeolianHarp mentioned :-)
                Gerd!! Wir sind auf der gleiche Notenblätter!

(Excuse the mistakes...)
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I don't think I can possibly answer that question. I will have to say though, that I really love his last cello sonata Ops 102!
                  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                    I don't think I can possibly answer that question. I will have to say though, that I really love his last cello sonata Ops 102!
                    It is wonderful!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

This is a hopeless question for me, for every time I listen to something else, I find that so amazing, whether it is the transition into the euphoria from Movement 3 to 4 in the Fifth, the Arietta of Op 111, the theme of the Choral Fantasy, the Waldstein Sonata, the opening of the Archduke, etc.... that's what makes his music so unique: that sense that when one listens to a work of his, all the rest just disappears. Your in a world of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
                        This is a hopeless question for me, for every time I listen to something else, I find that so amazing, whether it is the transition into the euphoria from Movement 3 to 4 in the Fifth, the Arietta of Op 111, the theme of the Choral Fantasy, the Waldstein Sonata, the opening of the Archduke, etc.... that's what makes his music so unique: that sense that when one listens to a work of his, all the rest just disappears. Your in a world of its own.
                        True Albert! Ohhh the Waldstein...I love the Rondo especially...

( We really need a heart smiley on this board!)
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

There are just so many great Beethoven melodies!

The last movement of the Op.132 quartet - swirling around in the minor before one of the Coda King's truly great finishes.

Yes, the Waldstein Rondo theme - I never tire of his variation mastery.

The 1st movement of the underrated Op.70/2 Trio in E flat.

Even melodies within melodies....the Hammerklavier dances from start to finish with great tunes.

Comment

As an almost unforgiveable aside (), for those familiar with British comedian Ricky Gervais's hit show "The Office", there is one episode, where - trying to impress a new, classical music-loving date - he tells her that Beethoven "wrote all the best tunes" and further that "Imagine how good his music would have sounded if he could have heard what he was playing."

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                              There are just so many great Beethoven melodies!

The last movement of the Op.132 quartet - swirling around in the minor before one of the Coda King's truly great finishes.

Yes, the Waldstein Rondo theme - I never tire of his variation mastery.

The 1st movement of the underrated Op.70/2 Trio in E flat.

Even melodies within melodies....the Hammerklavier dances from start to finish with great tunes.
                              Opus 132 is divine and I totally agree with you re The Hammerklavier- the first movement..ohhh..the way it soars...!!! I was flying listening to that the first time. It was a Seminal moment in my life- one I will always remember.
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                              X