Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A C R O S S _ T H E _ E X T R E M E S The late period of Beethoven

INTRODUCTION

Whoever walks in darkness is less lonely if they sing.

The challenge is not how one´s own life becomes paradoxical but how one´s own contradictions are the gears of a machine appealing enough to still producing harmonic resonances
    We usually read about Beethoven´s deafness but it´s not so common to read that Beethoven was speechless. Silence is the language that corresponds to the tragic hero. What does it mean?

http://lateperiodofbeethoven.blogspot.co.uk/
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

That late music of his will never cease to fascinate me. It is metaphysical music. A branch on the tree of classical music that had no further twigs. What could follow that? The late quartets are always a topic I mention to people who cannot fathom the depth of the music of Ludwig. Unearthly, ethereal, these are but meek words to give some hint at what this music reaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
      That late music of his will never cease to fascinate me. It is metaphysical music. A branch on the tree of classical music that had no further twigs. What could follow that? The late quartets are always a topic I mention to people who cannot fathom the depth of the music of Ludwig. Unearthly, ethereal, these are but meek words to give some hint at what this music reaches.
      Nobody could follow him Albert! Yet, listening to even his early music that etheral quality was there- look at the adgaio of his pinao sonata in C major Op. 2, No. 3- it so underated! It moves me greatly. He was always deep. And just 26 when he wrote it!!!! The mind boggles at his genius.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        Nobody could follow him Albert! Yet, listening to even his early music that etheral quality was there- look at the adgaio of his pinao sonata in C major Op. 2, No. 3- it so underated! It moves me greatly. He was always deep. And just 26 when he wrote it!!!! The mind boggles at his genius.
        The two great slow movements from his early period are for me from Op.10/3 and Op.18/1 - both interestingly in D minor. As to the late works, the only word is unfathomable - so extraordinary is this music that as has also been said of Bach, it is enough to make you believe in God (if you are an atheist, which I am not!).
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          The two great slow movements from his early period are for me from Op.10/3 and Op.18/1 - both interestingly in D minor. As to the late works, the only word is unfathomable - so extraordinary is this music that as has also been said of Bach, it is enough to make you believe in God (if you are an atheist, which I am not!).

Yes, well I am a polytheist/atheist ( believer in diety= energy forces of nature and other realms, but not one creator Being)....it's all so complicated, but anyway yeah....life is mysterious, and there is something mysterious about Beethoven's music- there is a transcendence to it.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
          X