Yet again it's the 26th March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet again it's the 26th March

This date is coming around all too frequently for my liking. I have now outlived our friend by ten years and I haven't a single bagatelle to show for it.
    Anyway, a toast to the mighty LvB!

Last edited by Michael; 03-26-2013, 08:43 PM. Reason: Couldn't spell "too"!!!

Now, where is the obligatory Spring storm?

Comment

I'd welcome one. It's freezing over here.

Classic FM have put up a nice tribute - it has been there for some time but today they gave it a specific link. I detect the strong influence of John Suchet:

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/b...reat-composer/

Last edited by Michael; 03-26-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Now, where is the obligatory Spring storm?
        As Michael says that would be welcome - we're still deep in winter here!
        Anyway it's so long ago since Beethoven died I've forgotten what he looked like!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Anyway it's so long ago since Beethoven died I've forgotten what he looked like!
          Just check my avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Just check my avatar.
            Or mine!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, it has been snowing here in Vienna all day. This 26 March has been an awful day all together.
              "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Today, by special request:

Today:

Leonore Prohaska: Funeral march WoO 96/4

Comment

That's an orchestral arrangement (by the man himself) of the funeral march movement of the A flat major sonata - a dress rehearsal for the second movement of the Eroica.
                  Was that played at his funeral? Without checking, I think it might have been an arrangement of one his Equali for for trombones?
                  I love those short pieces. What would take Wagner four hours has been distilled into something less than ten minutes.

Last edited by Michael; 03-27-2013, 12:19 AM. Reason: For some strange reason, I couldn't (temporarily) spell "trombones". Old age?

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                    Well, it has been snowing here in Vienna all day. This 26 March has been an awful day all together.
                    Probably fitting for the day that's in it.
                    I remember toiling up the hill in Heiligenstadt back in March of 2010. I made it as far as the Beethoven monument (and if you saw a photo of me you would regard that as quite an achievement!)
                    I didn't realise at the time that you were down the road or I would have called in for a cup of tea!

Last edited by Michael; 03-27-2013, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Probably fitting for the day that's in it.
                      I remember toiling up the hill in Heiligenstadt back in March of 2010. I made it as far as the Beethoven monument (and if you saw a photo of me you would regard that as quite an achievement!)
                      I didn't realise at the time that you were down the road or I would have called in for a cup of tea!

Yes I made it there in Aug 2003 with the assistance of Hollywood (my goodness 10 years ago ) - that was the blisteringly hot summer and temperatures were at around 37C. I was unfortunately too flaked to make it up the Kahlenberg - next time!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Was that played at his funeral? Without checking, I think it might have been an arrangement of one his Equali for for trombones?....
                        The Equali, but in an arrangement for male choir with IIRC texts by Grilparzer.

Comment

Sorry everybody, too busy to linger ....
                          Still, time enough to wish Happy Easter to my mate Beethoven.
                          As Michael has already done, I raise my glass to the man.

Comment

I do the same (though it's Coca Cola, but the it's the intention that counts).

Comment

Working...
                            X