Article on Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article on Beethoven

Here is an article on Beethoven by noted conductor and music commentator Daniel Barenboim. However, I really don't understand why he wrote it, as it just seems to parrot common truths about Beethoven that are well-worn grooves in any classical listener's brain. Nothing the least bit new or newly insightful that I can find. Of course, as an introduction to Beethoven for a young person it would be fine. But wouldn't one assume a typical reader of the NY Review of Books would be well acquainted with everything written here already?

Am I missing something?

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arch...ality-courage/
    Last edited by Chaszz; 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

As an atypical reader of the Sunday Times I couldn't comment on a typical reader of NY reviews! I thought the article interesting and I'm not sure many books would draw attention to 'courage' particularly, as Barenboim does particularly from a performer's point of view. Thanks for posting the link.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      As an atypical reader of the Sunday Times I couldn't comment on a typical reader of NY reviews! I thought the article interesting and I'm not sure many books would draw attention to 'courage' particularly, as Barenboim does particularly from a performer's point of view. Thanks for posting the link.
      I think courage is an attribute often associated with Beethoven, athough admittedly more for his forging ahead in spite of his deafness rather than for his specifically musical decisions.
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
        I think courage is an attribute often associated with Beethoven, athough admittedly more for his forging ahead in spite of his deafness rather than for his specifically musical decisions.
        Yes I think so Chaszz - Beethoven really challenges the performer (and listener) and you have to go for it!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X