X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven for Mozart Lovers!

Yes - that's the title of an upcoming concert in Dublin:

"Beethoven For Mozart Lovers

Beethoven’s First And Last Piano Concertos Owe A Generous Debt To The Radiant Brilliance Of Mozart. The First is an infectious display of youthful playfulness and swagger that pits soloist against orchestra in an entertaining game of cat and mouse. No less delightful is the Sixth Concerto (Beethoven’s own transcription of his Violin Concerto).

After last season’s revelatory beginning to his complete survey of Beethoven’s piano concertos, Associate Artist Finghin Collins nears the end of the cycle in scintillating fashion. Les Arts Florissants Associate Conductor Jonathan Cohen is one to look forward to."

Apart from the ending of the last sentence - with a preposition - I find the title of the concert and the whole advertisement extremely annoying. Maybe Beethoven does owe a debt to the RADIANT BRILLIANCE OF MOZART , but what about the Radiant Brilliance of Beethoven?

I'm probably in a bad mood. We have one "classical" music radio station here and every time I switch on, all I hear is Mozart. I've nothing against the lad but I wish they'd give him a rest.

And why have they chosen the so-called "Sixth Piano Concerto"? Are they afraid the Fourth Piano Concerto or the Emperor would blow Wolfgang out of the water!!

(End of rant.)

I feel better now.

Last edited by Michael; 02-24-2013, 11:07 PM.

The only decent thing about that transcription is the cadenza - aside from that Beethoven only did it so it would sell in London.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      The only decent thing about that transcription is the cadenza - aside from that Beethoven only did it so it would sell in London.
      Yes, it's so good even the violinists have stolen it for the proper version.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Yes, it's so good even the violinists have stolen it for the proper version.
        I'm not sure how often it is used, I only have one recording with it.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X