Portrait of Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portrait of Beethoven

An interesting portrait of Beethoven by an artist who generally works illustrating science fiction themes. I think it interesting because it takes a new approach to portraying the composer. Whether it is accurate or insightful or not beyond that, I'm not really sure, though I do think it reflects his personality to an extent and in a novel way. By novel way, I mean he's portrayed specifically as a man and not an idea-like or almost godlike figure, as seems to me to be often the case. This is a real man one could meet on the street, as it were, yet he has some of Beethoven's persona. I think the mouth is particularly Beethoven's, with its combination of sorry-for-oneself victimhood and resolve.

It interests me enough that I would like this artist to tackle say, Bach or Wagner.

What do some of the members think about it?

http://norke.deviantart.com/art/Tu-d...uuuu-135535211
    Last edited by Chaszz; 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

That is a very striking pose, indeed! It captures a good deal of emotion and personality. Some people are able to capture an essence, if you will, of a person, regardless of how well the portrait may actually resemble him or her. That is very nicely done.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd like to meet him on the street! I don't know, it looks a bit like a waxwork really, but certainly a likeness that captures a rather worried look.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

You know, we have the life mask made by Klein, the death mask, the various paintings, drawings and sketches of Beethoven, and so I have always wondered why somebody couldn't come up with something pretty close to how the guy looked.
        I have to say Norke's portrait goes some way to satisfying that particular longing of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
          You know, we have the life mask made by Klein, the death mask, the various paintings, drawings and sketches of Beethoven, and so I have always wondered why somebody couldn't come up with something pretty close to how the guy looked.
          I have to say Norke's portrait goes some way to satisfying that particular longing of mine.
          I agree with your observations. I think it has to do with the fact that he looks like a regular human being, with some of Beethoven's qualities, rather than a godlike creature who has descended from the heights and must take his place and live down here as best he can, which to me most of the rest of the images of him portray. I think the godlike approach to him is the reason why most of the other portraits don't satisfy our urge to see him as he was.
          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I'm not sure I'd like to meet him on the street! I don't know, it looks a bit like a waxwork really, but certainly a likeness that captures a rather worried look.
            Show me a portrait of Beethoven that doesn't capture a worried look!

Comment

Working...
            X