Pacific 231

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacific 231

Here are some Pacific 231 locomotives in a video synchronizing Honegger's music with the movement of the wheels in a sort of choreography. Maurice Abravanel in the podium.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfysyex_DAk[/YOUTUBE]

Honegger once said "I have always loved locomotives passionately. For me they are living creatures and I love them as others love women or horses."
    Last edited by Enrique; 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM.

Thanks Enrique. Really nice to see and hear a (Pacific) 231 (or, for the continental system of definition, a 2C1 )

Comment

I always confuse this piece with two other works:
      a) Fahrenheit 451 (author Ray Bradbury);
      b) Density 21.5 ('sonic poet' Edgar Varèse).

My confusion is no doubt due to poor synaptic connections.

Comment

Another 'related' work that you might care to listen to is
        Steve Reich: Different Trains. Reich's trains differ quite a lot from Honneger's, not least for their final destination. The excellent CD of the Reich that I have is played by the Kronos Quartet. No doubt you can find it on YouTube.

Another 'train' piece is of course Michael Nyman's 'MGV', commissioned for the inauguration of the French TGV.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
          Another 'related' work that you might care to listen to is
          Steve Reich: Different Trains. Reich's trains differ quite a lot from Honneger's, not least for their final destination. The excellent CD of the Reich that I have is played by the Kronos Quartet. No doubt you can find it on YouTube.

Another 'train' piece is of course Michael Nyman's 'MGV', commissioned for the inauguration of the French TGV.
          And I prefer to miss both trains

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            And I prefer to miss both trains
            There are trains in your part of the country?

Comment

Working...
            X