Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bach's 'cello suite in G more famous than all of this solo violin music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen yaks in Utah. My boss decided to raise yaks and brought them here to Salt Lake, then shipped them to a farm in Idaho where they are today. He said they are very mean and surly creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Very popular in solemn movie trailers, for some reason.
      And in not so solemn ones too. I've even heard it in comedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I would have thought the prelude of the Violin Partita No. 3 was the most famous movement out of the Bach works for solo violin and cello.
        I just listened to it and either it is a transcription of one of the inventions for klavier or the other way around!

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          I just listened to it and either it is a transcription of one of the inventions for klavier or the other way around!
          Hm, I don't think so. Bach transcribed the whole partita for lute (BWV 1006a). The prelude was also transcribed for the sinfonia of the cantata BWV 29 and also used again in BWV 120a. But that's all the use of it that Bach made as far as I know. I believe Rachmaninoff made a piano transcription of it, though.

Comment

Listen or read the score of the two-part invention in F major.

Comment

It's BWV 779.

Comment

Those are definitely not the same music, though I can certainly see why one would remind you of the other.

Comment

Sorry, Chris, but one is definitely a transcription of the other.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-part_inventions. Look at BWV 779.

Comment

Yes...

Here is BWV 779:

And here is the BWV 1006 Preludio:

They don't look the same to me.

Comment

I said Two-part Invention in F major, BWV 779. But it really is the Three-part Invention in F major, BWV 794. Now, Bach's three-part inventions are also known as symphonies. My mistake. But after all, all I initially spoke of was an invention, not specifying which one.

Comment

This?

This isn't the same as the preludio either.

Comment

Sorry, Chris. My bloody record says it clearly. Sinfonía de la cantata no.29. But the following tracks are all inventions. Then I got confused and thought the first track was an invention too. I have now the record in front of me, so I exonerate it. I am the only to blame. And on top of that, I seem not to be able to read music. I think I must go to bed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                              I have seen yaks in Utah. My boss decided to raise yaks and brought them here to Salt Lake, then shipped them to a farm in Idaho where they are today. He said they are very mean and surly creatures.
                              Reminds me of a (clean) joke about yaks.

This chap's wife was trying to buy some inexpensive meat so she saw that yak meat was going cheap at the butchers. All her friends told her that it was indistinguishable from beef, so she made a dish for her husband, who normally wouldn't spot the difference.
                              However, he took one mouthful and said: "Yak!"

Now bach to the main topic .............

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                Reminds me of a (clean) joke about yaks.

This chap's wife was trying to buy some inexpensive meat so she saw that yak meat was going cheap at the butchers. All her friends told her that it was indistinguishable from beef, so she made a dish for her husband, who normally wouldn't spot the difference.
                                However, he took one mouthful and said: "Yak!"

Now bach to the main topic .............
                                Yak taste pretty good, though!

Comment

Working...
                                X