Little free counterpoint quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    There was (yesterday) a large download button but that was part of an advertisement. The only available NtEd that I see goes to Linux and is version 1.10.18. If you go to the developer's site it indicates it's only for Linux:

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de...ted/nted.xhtml

It's a pity because I was looking forward to trying it.
    You are right. My mistake. This list may help you to make a choice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scorewriters. Another one is to make [do/take] the big leap and install linux. There is a lot of people who has both operating systems on their machines. And is no more trouble than repartitioning your hard disk or, zero work, install a second disk. There are many fine score editors out there, but they tend to be expensive.

Comment

There was one I used years ago, Audio Logic but they went to an all Mac platform. It was a great program for both notation and sequencing. Now I am looking for a way to convert the files to a more standard format. Converting them to MIDI files may require saving each track of each Logic file separately and that could be a bit tedious.

Comment

I used to use Encore back in the old days and then I moved to Finale. My version is 2005, I believe, so it's quite old. I'm going to check out the most recent version and see how it compares to what's out there for free sometime soon.

Comment

Musescore has been highly rated by Gizmos's (http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...n-software.htm). Since I last used it a couple of years ago they've added more features.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            But does it need to? I originally had something more akin to your solution there, but when I actually played it back, it sounded a bit jarring, like just charging forward through an exercise in the circle of fifths. I have the F and B-flat, as you say, but from there I was thinking G minor and then Ab, and with the latter I wanted to get that added 6 in there. That solution seemed to break up the monotony of the constant progression of fifths into something more pleasant [...]
            Does it need to? Well, I think the given Cantus Firmus (Violin II) screams out its tonalities! I can see no place where G minor would be appropriate, though I hear your part "go all modal" in the passage I think you are alluding to! Anyway, when I get back home I'll send you a full report. I usually give marks out of 20 (the French way), but I can recodify if you prefer to First, Upper Second, Lower Second, Third, Pass or Fail, or even a simpler A, B, C, D, and F (for fail).

Comment

G minor instead of E-flat major in your progression.

Make as many points about my work as you like, but be prepared for my...counterpoints.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                G minor instead of E-flat major in your progression.

Make as many points about my work as you like, but be prepared for my...counterpoints.
                There is nothing in your Violin I part that 'confirms' G minor. By 'confirmation' I mean I would expect some sort of implied V7-I with an F# ... somewhere.
                I'll post my annotations of your working a bit later and I look forward to your ... counterpoints. Nothing better than when students ask questions of me rather than sit there and accept what I say in bovine fashion!

Comment

And here we go. First off are my annotations for Chris. Please see the attached PDF. I think I may have scanned it upside down, so you'll need to rotate it, or print it off.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Quijote; 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM. Reason: repetition of word

Comment

Now for Sorrano's efforts ...
                    Attached Files

Comment

And finally Enrique's working. Again, badly scanned, so please 'rotate' or print off.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                        Now for Sorrano's efforts ...
                        For me this is a good kick-start to consider composing again. It's been years (shows, doesn't it) since I've been at it, so I appreciate this.

Do we get another shot at redemption?

Comment

Let me say that for first efforts (without I assume previous training in Free Counterpoint / Common Practice counterpoint), they are not bad at all. My only negative comment for all three of you is the missed opportunity for sequential treatment of the given Violin II part. I maintain pace Chris that I see no place where G minor would be appropriate.

Would you like another try at another exercise? I'll waive my fees for all of you, but I reserve the right to use your workings for my own teaching purposes here in France. Do we have a deal?
                          Last edited by Quijote; 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM. Reason: 'say' not 'sat'

Comment

Please don't hesitate to ask for any clarifications if my annotations require them (e.g. 'What's the problem with augmented 2nds?' and so on ...).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                              For me this is a good kick-start to consider composing again. It's been years (shows, doesn't it) since I've been at it, so I appreciate this.

Do we get another shot at redemption?
                              My pleasure, Sorrano! As for redemption ... sure, if you want another go I'll happily post another exercise. I won't post the marks I would have given, I don't think that's at all necessary.

Comment

And without wishing to blow my own trumpet, please do compare your workings with my own solution, which 'academically follows the rules to the letter'. You must remember that the given Cantus Firmus (the Violin II part) sets the 'ground rules' for the part to be composed.

Comment

Working...
                                X