No announcement yet.

Little free counterpoint quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admire your commercial approach. And you mentioned the words 'rich' and 'we' and 'could be'. Before you had aroused my curiosity. Now you have my full attention. (Anybody get the film reference here?)
    Your proposition reminds me of the 'spell-check' function in Word software : helps your spelling and grammar, but won't make you a great writer.
    Sure, useful for students. If a composer had to use it I would seriously doubt they merit the job title. And as for harmony teachers using it for 'quick 'n easy' grading, this rather exposes your attitude to that profession in general. I grade my students' work as I have to for exam purposes, but in terms of continual assessment assignments (used to be called homework) I need to actually look at their work myself to see where improvements can be made. Besides, a computer programme can't be in a bad mood and mark down some cretin in class for the sheer joy of it! Sorry, I don't mean "mark down some cretin for the sheer joy of it", I wanted to say "mark such-and-such a student with uncompromising rigour".
    Anyway, did you say you might purchase a harmony book?
    Last edited by Quijote; 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM. Reason: Rigour or rigor? I wasn't sure there for a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
      Your proposition reminds me of the 'spell-check' function in Word software : helps your spelling and grammar, but won't make you a great writer.
      Exactly. It can check that your syntax is correct, but not evaluate the quality of your content.

Sure, useful for students. If a composer had to use it I would seriously doubt they merit the job title.
      I don't know. Professionals in many fields use such things to save time or as a backup. Physicists use computer models to speed up computation and check results. Mathematicians use Mathematica and MATLAB and such things to assist in visualization, run experiments, and check their sequences. The compilers I use always check for correct syntax, which is usually necessary just for generating a runnable program.

And as for harmony teachers using it for 'quick 'n easy' grading, this rather exposes your attitude to that profession in general. I grade my students' work as I have to for exam purposes, but in terms of continual assessment assignments (used to be called homework) I need to actually look at their work myself to see where improvements can be made.
      Surely it would save time if you could get automatic syntax checking, though? Have all those parallel fifths marked automatically? When I was in school, our programs were always checked for correctness by another program. And then a human being would actually look at it to judge the style and suggest improvements and such.

Besides, a computer programme can't be in a bad mood and mark down some cretin in class for the sheer joy of it! Sorry, I don't mean "mark down some cretin for the sheer joy of it", I wanted to say "mark such-and-such a student with uncompromising rigour".
      I am envisioning a "Mood" slider control...but then, perhaps that would deprive grouchy old professors of their greatest source of job satisfaction!

Anyway, did you say you might purchase a harmony book?
      I may, once I have worked my way through my unread CD liner notes...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Exactly. It can check that your syntax is correct, but not evaluate the quality of your content.
        Fair enough. Personally, I prefer my eye-ear reading. A bit quicker than a programme. That said, I must applaud the endeavour of the fellow that wrote the CHORAL programme. Some very serious thought (and even more time) has gone into it.

I don't know. Professionals in many fields use such things to save time or as a backup. Physicists use computer models to speed up computation and check results. Mathematicians use Mathematica and MATLAB and such things to assist in visualization, run experiments, and check their sequences. The compilers I use always check for correct syntax, which is usually necessary just for generating a runnable program.
        Hm. When I compose (a pedagogical exercise, a commission [rare], an arrangement for a concert, for fun ...), I don't need such a programme to check my work. And I would never trust such a programme to do so. This is not an "old-fart anti-technology" mindset; I would use software programmes for generating sound materials but not for compositional choices.

Surely it would save time if you could get automatic syntax checking, though? Have all those parallel fifths marked automatically?
        Why, when it's 'at-a-glance' for me? No key strokes, no need to even turn on the computer. I look, I hear, I correct. If I'm really not sure, I check on the piano. Doesn't take me long to open the lid of my Yamaha upright!

I am envisioning a "Mood" slider control...but then, perhaps that would deprive grouchy old professors of their greatest source of job satisfaction!
        If you really could integrate such a "mood slider control", that would be the commercial hook to convince me to buy the damned thing. Grouchy, yes; old, well, I'm no spring chicken, but I'm not yet giving 'music appreciation' courses for half-deaf retired folk just yet. If ever I live to such an advanced age, I have advised my daughter to slay me without mercy.

I may, once I have worked my way through my unread CD liner notes...
        That could take some time, if I evaluate correctly the number of CDs you have. I think we may have the ideal gift for you next Xmas.
        Last edited by Quijote; 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM. Reason: Computer programme faults. Yes.

Comment

Hm. When I compose (a pedagogical exercise, a commission [rare], an arrangement for a concert, for fun ...), I don't need such a programme to check my work.
          If only Beethoven had had such a program, he might not have been called out on his parallel fifths by Ries! Of course, I'd have had to add an option for him to make them allowable once he had declared them so.

And I would never trust such a programme to do so. This is not an "old-fart anti-technology" mindset; I would use software programmes for generating sound materials but not for compositional choices.
          Certainly not to MAKE the choices for you, but a check couldn't hurt. Just like writers with spell and grammar checking.

Why, when it's 'at-a-glance' for me? No key strokes, no need to even turn on the computer. I look, I hear, I correct. If I'm really not sure, I check on the piano. Doesn't take me long to open the lid of my Yamaha upright!
          Oh no, it wouldn't be very helpful if it worked that way. You'd have to have your students submit their assignments in electronic format. Then all you'd have to do is turn on your computer the morning after the assignments were due, and all those unprepared suspensions would be marked without you having had to even look at them. Then you could cast an eye over them to judge the musical content.

That could take some time, if I evaluate correctly the number of CDs you have. I think we may have the ideal gift for you next Xmas.
          Yes, every year I make a New Year's resolution to finish the ones I have before buying any others. Alas, it is only January and I have already failed this year. But CDs are a technology on their way out, so must get them while I can. Digital music is superior in every way, of course (unless they try to impose ridiculous copy protection methods), but it just doesn't look as nice on the shelf.

Comment

Very well. I will post a new exercise soon. I shall be paying particular attention to your offering, Mr Programmer.
            No offense meant personally to you, but the world is being run by accountants (bean counters) and programmers. Thus I am obliged to modify my 'cleansing list' once the revolution is upon us. The latest version is as follows:
            a) Priests (all denominations, except Jains, maybe even Buddhists);
            b) Politicians;
            c) Accountants;
            d) Civil servants;
            e) Bankers;
            f) Programmers;
            g) Organists, violinists ...
            h) There is no 'h';
            i) Those that spout (or mindlessly copy) nonsense such as "Tonality contained within itself the seeds... blah blah ...etc."
            j) Anyone who disparages Bruckner.

Comment

BRS Bach chorale exercise 2

OK, here's the second Bach chorale exercise. As you can see, I'm keeping them short. Would be nice if you could add passing notes (accented/unaccented) to 'spice up' a very simple melody!
              Good luck.
              Attached Files

Comment

... Thus I am obliged to modify my 'cleansing list' once the revolution is upon us. The latest version is as follows:
                a) Priests (all denominations, except Jains, maybe even Buddhists);
                b) Politicians;
                c) Accountants;
                d) Civil servants;
                e) Bankers;
                f) Programmers;
                g) Organists, violinists ...
                h) There is no 'h';
                i) Those that spout (or mindlessly copy) nonsense such as "Tonality contained within itself the seeds... blah blah ...etc."
                j) Anyone who disparages Bruckner.
                Organists and violinists are la crème de la crème in music execution. Computer programming is all about algorithms, hence a branch of mathematics. I like mathematicians. Some programmers are always trying to improve user interfaces. These I don't like so much.

AMENDMENT: I like mathematics. Not necessarily mathematicians. The second objection can be disregarded.
                Last edited by Enrique; 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                  Organists and violinists are la crème de la crème in music execution. Computer programming is all about algorithms, hence a branch of mathematics. I like mathematicians. Some programmers are always trying to improve user interfaces. These I don't like so much.

AMENDMENT: I like mathematics. Not necessarily mathematicians. The second objection can be disregarded.
                  You're right Enrique, I stand corrected! Bruckner was an organist and a fiddle player, so I will have to remove those categories from my 'cleansing list' when the revolution comes.

Comment

OK, here's the second Bach chorale exercise. As you can see, I'm keeping them short. Would be nice if you could add passing notes (accented/unaccented) to 'spice up' a very simple melody!
                    Good luck.
                    Thanks! I might not be able to get to this until the weekend, but I do need to make amends for the last one.

Comment

No problem, whenever you want.

Comment

Arno : sorry not to have come back to you, but I will as soon as I get a moment.

Comment

I'm waiting for work to be handed in by students Sorrano, Chris, Enrique, Peter and Arno.

Comment

I'm waiting for work to be handed in by students Sorrano, Chris, Enrique, Peter and Arno.
                            A question first, if I may, since part of the exercise is to add passing notes. In most of the four-part harmonizations I use, there are passing notes added pretty freely in the bass, but usually only at cadences in the alto and tenor. Bach does not restrict himself to this, but should we for the purposes of this exercise?

Comment

Sorry I could not get to it this past weekend. These have been pretty busy days but I do plan on doing it soon.

Comment

A question first, if I may, since part of the exercise is to add passing notes. In most of the four-part harmonizations I use, there are passing notes added pretty freely in the bass, but usually only at cadences in the alto and tenor. Bach does not restrict himself to this, but should we for the purposes of this exercise?
                                I'd say see how many passing notes you can use in the A,T and B. I think that in avoiding consecutives and parallels etc, you'll end up pretty much with a close approximation of the idiom. Remember too that everybody stops at the pause marks except perhaps for the occasional retardation in the A or T voices.
                                Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X