Die Hard 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Die Hard 2013

There will be a new Die Hard movie in 2013. Here is the preview. I'd go to see this just for the music <grin>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=oZlGkBJj4Ms

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
    There will be a new Die Hard movie in 2013. Here is the preview. I'd go to see this just for the music <grin>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=oZlGkBJj4Ms

I'm sure Beethoven would not be impressed with his music being used in mindless violent films, can't imagine Bruce Willis in the remake of Pride and Prejudice , starring as Mr. Dacry, Can't stand B.Willis. I'm sorry but American actors just don't have it for me, the dialogue is usually quite perfunctory. Aren't they sickened enough by violence after the 9/11 attacks! There is a world of difference between European and US cinema.
    Last edited by Megan; 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM.
    🎹

Comment

The "Ode to Joy" theme was used extensively in the first Die Hard movie. It hasn't appeared in any of the others, and I suspect they are using it only in the trailer.
      I quite like the Die Hard movies. And "Pride and Prejudice". And the "Ode to Joy".

Comment

Various bits and pieces of B's Ninth were used in Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange, but then I suppose that film is not considered as mindlessly violent, though it does treat mindless ('yahoo') violence as a central theme.

Comment

The use of classical music in films is usually pointless and chosen without any real meaning - would it matter what they played in Die Hard? An example of where it was done well is Visconti's 'Death in Venice' where the music (Mahler) is really suited and integral to the story, but Visconti was also a director of opera and knew about music.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hmm. Begs the question of the use of music (whatever the genre) in films as a general principle. I rather take exception to the use of classical music in advertising.

Comment

Perhaps (to return to Die Hard, which I have not seen, so really I shouldn't dare make a comment until I have done so), one could (stretching it a bit) argue that the director chose to juxtapose the supposed 'civility' (= rational = civilized = human) one tends to associate with classical music with brutal mindless violence.
              In any case, I am reminded of Francis Ford Coppola's superbly apt use of Wagner in his film Apocalypse Now.
              Last edited by Quijote; 11-22-2012, 08:28 PM. Reason: Biblical confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                Perhaps (to return to Die Hard, which I have not seen, so really I shouldn't dare make a comment until I have done so), one could (stretching it a bit) argue that the director chose to juxtapose the supposed 'civility' (= rational = civilized = human) one tends to associate with classical music with brutal mindless violence.
                I think that is common in films. It's quite explicit Clockwork Orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  I think that is common in films. It's quite explicit Clockwork Orange.
                  An especially violent scene in the above movie is set to the tune of "Singing in the Rain". However, the action is very stylised and unrealistic - in fact, so is the whole film, in spite of its reputation.

The really distressing part of the film (for me anyway) was the sight of Hitler's thugs goose-stepping to the alla marcia section of the finale of the Ninth Symphony. It's a mental image I do not want to retain.

Comment

Hmm. Begs the question of the use of music (whatever the genre) in films as a general principle. I rather take exception to the use of classical music in advertising.
                    I take exception to advertising with or without music!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, down with all advertising! That said, there have been some very clever ads on the TV.

Comment

Anyway, I'm still going to see Die Hard 2013. Sometimes I like to relax with mindless 'chewing gum for the eyes'.
                        Not chewing for the eyes, I saw extracts the other day (on YouTube) of Far From the Madding Crowd, with a great film score by Richard Rodney Bennet. Such a super, haunting 'leitmotif' melody (flute, sometimes oboe).

Comment

Anyway, I'm still going to see Die Hard 2013. Sometimes I like to relax with mindless 'chewing gum for the eyes'.
                          Not chewing for the eyes, I saw extracts the other day (on YouTube) of Far From the Madding Crowd, with a great film score by Richard Rodney Bennet. Such a super, haunting 'leitmotif' melody (flute, sometimes oboe).
                          Ah that could have been in the next teaser! Love the film and the book is pretty good to!!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well well, here's a follow-up article on Susanwen's original posting:
                            http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...ninth-symphony

Comment

Well well, here's a follow-up article on Susanwen's original posting:
                              http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...ninth-symphony
                              Nice little selection. But to describe the Ninth Symphony as "bombastic"? Is that meant to be a compliment?

Comment

Working...
                              X