Fur Elise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fur Elise

I am interested in the origins of this beautiful melody. Can you tell me who Elise is?

Originally posted by nanmoz:
    I am interested in the origins of this beautiful melody. Can you tell me who Elise is?
    The Bagatelle in A minor(WoO59) known as 'Fur Elise' was written in 1810 for Therese Malfatti - a lady Beethoven was considering marrying at that time. Nothing came of this, as Therese's father objected to the union and she was married in 1816 to Baron Von Drosdick. In a letter of May 1810 to Therese, Beethoven refers to the Bagatelle - 'In this letter, beloved Therese, you are receiving what I promised you.' Her uncle was Dr.Giovanni Malfatti, who treated Beethoven in his final illness and for whom Beethoven composed a short cantata Un lieto brindisi (WoO103) in 1814.

It has been suggested as Beethoven's hand-writing was notoriously bad that he had actually written 'Fur Therese' - however it seems that Beethoven did write the name 'Elise' which was used then as an affectionate name for a loved one.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-17-2001).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have heard in Beethoven's biography by Jack Perkins that Elise was one of B's pupils. ¿Is this true?

Comment

Working...
      X