Something more to say.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something more to say.

Many people is being frank in what regards Bach's music, so I'd like to make some statements too. First, it goes without saying that every composition of his is not equally worthy. I'm I listening to the much praised suites and sonaten for solo violin. This music has very little appeal to me (though repeated audition could enhance it). Perhaps if I like the chaconne it's because we listen to it so many times, though this may be a cause for the contrary effect. Example: Eine Klaine Nacht Music in G major.

Before Casals, people used to consider the cello sonaten as exercises. And this is precisely what Bach could have written tehm for. Who can say for sure? And the same goes for these violin compositions. The partitas and suites for clavier are more digestible music because they include its own harmonization. Many of them are deligtful, as the opening movement of the English suite no.3. In fact, they are electrifying at the same time.

The organ music if a chapter apart. Be it a chorale-prelude or one of the imposing preludes and fugues, one cannot miss them. Pardon me Quijote. I know you have a problem with this instrument. And what about the passions and the B minor Mass? Or the magnificat? Everyone has heard the magnificat once in his life. Yet I had not heard a work about these works whose hearing makes you realize that There are more things in heaven ... (do not remember the whole verses). Some people have been able to see the Earth from outer space and have got a feeling of their own insignificance, the sensation of being very small. And is this not the same feeling experienced by hering the opening bars of the Mass. Or the impression of something very deep, of infinite tenderness that is happening down there at the orchestra, when listening Matthaus Passion's introduction (one thing that always strikes me is a very long pedal in the basses which runs uninterrupted until the last few bars).

However, this poster is not to be taken very seriously, given he is also impermeable to the last sonatas and string quartets and, therefore, shows a poor musical intelligence and a doubtful taste. In a few words ... Much about the Beatles, little about Bach.

Many years ago a choir I was in did perform the introductory chorus to the St. Matthew Passion. Your description ("Or the impression of something very deep, of infinite tenderness that is happening down there at the orchestra, when listening Matthaus Passion's introduction") puts into words what I have felt ever since whenever I do listen to that chorus or whenever I recall singing it. Thank you!

Comment

If I remember well, the first movement is written for two choirs, which calls, I think, for rather trained musicians. Had you some initiation in music reading at the time or were the parts learned by heart?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
        [...] Before Casals, people used to consider the cello sonaten as exercises. And this is precisely what Bach could have written tehm for. Who can say for sure? And the same goes for these violin compositions. The partitas and suites for clavier are more digestible music because they include its own harmonization. [...]
        Ah, but Enrique, to take the 'cello suites as an example, they do have their own harmonization (implied in a linear fashion). Take the Preludes to the 'cello suites or the Sarabandes as first examples: you will see and hear that the implied harmonies are quite clear.

Comment

Yes, I heared say that to one of Casals disciples, and was about to be a bit more abundant in the post. And of course, there is not only harmony (in the keyboard music) but counterpoint too [you already said that: "implied in a linear fashion".]

Especially imposing is the prelude to the suite in C minor, do not you think? And the section that follows is for not missing somethig like that!
          Last edited by Enrique; 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
            If I remember well, the first movement is written for two choirs, which calls, I think, for rather trained musicians. Had you some initiation in music reading at the time or were the parts learned by heart?
            The choir was a university choir, but more for the general student body than the trained musicians. Many of the choir members were non vocal music students, anyway, so we were fairly competent (I should say "they" and not "we" as I was simply happy to be there ). I don't recall having to memorize the music, but we did perform it publicly at the end of the semester. It was a Bach experience that was extremely positive for me during a time that I had great difficulty with his music otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X