Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    I saw you're first spelling attempt, Sorrano! Made me think about Peter's "door knob" story !! For any newbies on this forum, you'll have a job tracking down that post, I can tell you !!
    There was a line similar to what Peter had that went something like this:

The door is Baroque because it doesn't Schutz, Handel (and I'll) be Bach in a minuet.
    Last edited by Sorrano; 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM. Reason: Grammatically/spelling struggling

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      P is for Pathetic, a more popular of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas.

(Do I get extra Points for that one?
      Most certainly, alliteration counts as double. Oops, almost gave away a clue for a later "D".

Comment

Septet - Opus 20. Very popular in its day. I first heard it back in 1971 and didn't much like it (rather like Beethoven who turned against it).
        But over the years I've come to love it. As I've said many times, Beethoven needs time.

Comment

T = Teplitz, the spa town where B liked to take the waters (and other liquids in the evening). Imagine if Beethoven had been British, he would have gone to Leamington Spa. Not quite the same ring to it, hey?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Septet - Opus 20. Very popular in its day. I first heard it back in 1971 and didn't much like it (rather like Beethoven who turned against it).
            But over the years I've come to love it. As I've said many times, Beethoven needs time.
            Lord, I played in that years ago. Haven't played or listened to it since. You know, I'm going to give it another listen. To be honest, I never liked the 'combo'. I'm older now, maybe I'll make a connection.

Comment

U = Caroline Unger, soprano at the premiere of the Ninth

Comment

V = Virtuoso. I don't need to elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                  Lord, I played in that years ago. Haven't played or listened to it since. You know, I'm going to give it another listen. To be honest, I never liked the 'combo'. I'm older now, maybe I'll make a connection.
                  Back in 1971, I was "looking down" on early Beethoven, having started in the "middle period" like most people. I then progressed to "late Beethoven" and having scaled the heights, I then, reluctantly, took a look at the early stuff - and got a hell of a shock.
                  This guy knew what he was doing long before Opus 1.

Comment

Somebody please post a W, because I have a lovely X. (Sorrano has one too)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Back in 1971, I was "looking down" on early Beethoven, having started in the "middle period" like most people. I then progressed to "late Beethoven" and having scaled the heights, I then, reluctantly, took a look at the early stuff - and got a hell of a shock.
                      This guy knew what he was doing long before Opus 1.
                      These days I tend to pass on the 'middle period' and also really appreciate the 'first' and 'late'. Of late, more the 'first' as I'm more and more into Haydn. But these 'listening moods' change, as I'm sure they do for many of us.
                      Back to the Septet, I really have problems connecting with chamber works employing brass. A personal shortcoming, nothing more.

Comment

W= Paul Wranitzsky, violinist and conductor acquaintance of B. First violin in that BBC Eroica film.

Comment

Waiting for the "X" factor ...

Comment

Xerxes - An opera by Beethoven formerly attributed to Handel.
                            (It's here on the internet so it must be true.)

http://mp3lemon.org/song/492917/10_-..._HWV_40-_Largo

Comment

As initiator of this quiz and I suppose its arbiter, I must nevertheless defer to others on this forum for confirmation! Sorry Michael, we are now suspended on "X" until it has been validated.
                              Nobody post anything until we've sorted this out !!!!!!

Comment

Amusing, Michael, but I don't think one person on the Internet's misattribution of a Handel piece to Beethoven is enough!

Comment

Working...
                                X