Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    To be taken with the standard pound of salt necessary with nearly all Schindler's statements.
    Yes, reading Schindler can be bad for the blood pressure as too much salt is required (apart from his "mistakes").

Comment

Youth.

I love this depiction of Ludwig in his youth with his drunken father overseeing his son play the piano, much to the consternation of his mother in the background.

Last edited by Megan; 12-09-2012, 09:31 AM.
      🎹

Comment

Well, it seems like the XYZs are back on the menu, then!
        Z = Zeitung = the 'newspaper'. Beethoven loved reading the newspapers, especially if there was a good review of his music. I forget the exact name of the Vienna paper he used to read, something like the Allgemeine Zeitung?

Comment

A-Z Beethoven Quiz Round 16

A is for ...

Comment

Aristocracy.

Beethoven taught piano to the sons and daughters of rich aristocrats.
            🎹

Comment

B = Broadwood. A 'joanna' made by this UK firm and sent to Beethoven via a tortuous path, if I recall correctly.

Comment

"Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage". A short secular cantata by our boy, Louis van.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                  Youth.

I love this depiction of Ludwig in his youth with his drunken father overseeing his son play the piano, much to the consternation of his mother in the background.

His mother holding an iPad seems to spoil the period effect - oh, no, wait ... it's a picture!

Comment

D

Beethoven Discarded sketches.

'Lost' Beethoven work brought back to life
                    A Beethoven masterpiece that was thought to have been lost in its full, original form is to be played for the first time in over 200 years after it was reconstructed from the composer's original sketches.

The slow movement of Beethoven's String Quartet in G, Opus 18 Number 2, was composed in 1799 but was discarded shortly after it was written.

The piece's 74 bars, which Beethoven delivered to leading arts patron and Bohemian aristocrat Prince Lobkowitz, were replaced by a new movement that retained little of the original material.

It had been thought that the first draft of the quartet had been lost forever, until Sieghard Brandenburg, a German music scholar, unearthed detailed sketches made by the composer as part of a research project in 1977.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8...k-to-life.html
                    Last edited by Megan; 12-13-2012, 05:19 AM.
                    🎹

Comment

A clever "D", Megan !
                      E = Eberle. I've forgotten the precise LvB connection, but one of you will put me right!

I hope.

Comment

Does this help, Don?

http://www.askonasholt.co.uk/artists...eronika-eberle

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Not really! I was thinking of someone contemporaneous with our Louis. Can't for the life of me recall the exact connection, but a piano maker, a publisher, a forgotten composer around at B's time? Something like that.

Comment

And Sorrano, if our time differences are relevant here, you should be working!
                            Blimey, if I was your boss ...

Comment

Here's another Eberle link that you were not looking for.

http://www.lyrics.com/beethovens-moo...ay-eberle.html

And yes, I am working.

Personally, I prefer the previous link I sent.

Comment

Yes, she was very pretty (referring to your first Eberle link)! I have quite a few good looking students (male and female) in my classes, but you know, I never give marks for looks. Really, I don't. I have had some students complain to me that certain colleagues give marks in proportion to, er, how can I put this delicately, in proportion to looks and bra size. I'm human (many do not believe this), but I'm impitoyable when it comes to marking.

Comment

Working...
                                X