Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
    Well done for the XYZ (even though the "Z" was truly appalling, the poster should be shot ...).
    I think he was half shot when he posted it.

Comment

Oh, I forgot ......
      Ecossaises (or Scottish dances) WoO83 - a long-time favourite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2gZPLXMYQ

I've just got a horrible feeling this was done already! So:

Erard, Sebastian. French piano maker who presented Beethoven with one in 1803.

Last edited by Michael; 10-15-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Oh, I forgot ......
        Ecossaises (or Scottish dances) WoO83 - a long-time favourite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2gZPLXMYQ
        Mine too! And as fun to play as they are to listen to - this is one of the few Beethoven pieces I've been able to get students excited about playing.

Comment

F = Fourths, the interval. Lots of fourths in Diabelli's 'cobbler's patch' exploited by LvB, especially Variation XX. Honest. Straight up. No kidding.

Comment

According to the 24h rule, the "G" will be down to me by 06.14 pm today! Yikes!
            Thayer/Solomon/Google, where are you?

Comment

Double yikes! The Blue Baron has just logged on! Time to make myself scarce before he pinpoints my position for a bit of artillery ....

Comment

Gyrowetz, Adalbert, a conductor at the Karntnerthor Theater, who Beethoven respected. If he really did not, at least he knew him.

Comment

Excellent, Enrique! Thanks for joining us on on this mad A-Z Beethoven quiz that could - potentially - run forever !!!

Comment

H = Hats. Take a look at the various drawings/sketches that exist of LvB. Hats galore! I don't like hats myself, but as I posted recently on the "Genius of Beethoven" thread, I really want a big coat like the actor wore in the BBC documentary. Total class that coat is! I want one, and I want it now!

I is for ...

Comment

I ncidental Music For Goethe's Egmont/The Creatures Of Prometheus
                      🎹

Comment

Excellent, Enrique! Thanks for joining us on on this mad A-Z Beethoven quiz that could - potentially - run forever !!!
                        Oh, it will. Believe me, it will...
                        The full 26 letters gamut, of course...

Comment

H = Hats. Take a look at the various drawings/sketches that exist of LvB. Hats galore! I don't like hats myself, but as I posted recently on the "Genius of Beethoven" thread, I really want a big coat like the actor wore in the BBC documentary. Total class that coat is! I want one, and I want it now!

I is for ...
                          I agree that it is a fantastic piece of garb. I believe Beethoven himself borrowed his from the BBC Wardrobe Department whenever he fancied a walk in the woods, scaring squirrels, taunting hedgehogs, whatever else he got up to...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                            I agree that it is a fantastic piece of garb. I believe Beethoven himself borrowed his from the BBC Wardrobe Department whenever he fancied a walk in the woods, scaring squirrels, taunting hedgehogs, whatever else he got up to...
                            Mostly causing cattle stampedes especially when he tried to sing. I think he got told off by some farmers once.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Mostly causing cattle stampedes especially when he tried to sing. I think he got told off by some farmers once.
                              Get orrff aar land, Mr Beethoven. We is the Wurrrzels and we bin tryin' ter perfec' arr act fer Noo Faces on the telly, loike (oo-arr, oo-arr). Now, get thee orrf arre land......less yee'd loike to join are band (ooh-Arr! ooh-Arr!). You is scarin' the sheep!! Away with thee, lad, else oi'll be callin' the sheriff...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                                Get orrff aar land, Mr Beethoven. We is the Wurrrzels and we bin tryin' ter perfec' arr act fer Noo Faces on the telly, loike (oo-arr, oo-arr). Now, get thee orrf arre land......less yee'd loike to join are band (ooh-Arr! ooh-Arr!). You is scarin' the sheep!! Away with thee, lad, else oi'll be callin' the sheriff...
                                Good job Beethoven was deaf. Even to read the above hurts my ears.

Still no I? I'm afraid my Is aren't what they used to be.

"I'll Praise the saints with early song". 20 Irish Songs WoO 153 No. 12.
                                (The folksongs, PDG, the folksongs! )

Comment

Working...
                                X