John Cage Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Cage Birthday

Happy 100 years to the great innovator John Cage! American Public Radio's Performance Today is running an observance with some of his music and some thoughts about him and his contributions.

One item that was mentioned that I found particularly interesting and endearing is that Cage liked sound. Sound is so prevalent in various forms that we miss most of it and with much being things we are used to hearing from day to day that we phase it out of our consciousness. Years ago I recall reading of an experiment that someone did in a large city, listening to the blended sounds of his current environment. After listening for a few moments he began to hear birds through the din of the traffic and other sounds came through that he had not supposed were there because they had been "drowned" out by the incessant noises of the city. Is it music? That answer can only be answered by the individual that experiences it.

I suppose a minute's silence wouldn't be enough of a tribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I suppose a minute's silence wouldn't be enough of a tribute.
      " "

Comment

Happy Birthday, Johnnie! To commemorate, I shall embark immediately on penning an "open fugue" based on the notes of his surname, but to be played silently. Its duration will be left to the discretion of the performer.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          Happy Birthday, Johnnie! To commemorate, I shall embark immediately on penning an "open fugue" based on the notes of his surname, but to be played silently. Its duration will be left to the discretion of the performer.
          And what instrumentation?

Comment

Peter's bashed-up piano, Chris's violin, you Sorrano on the organ and a touch of ad lib percussion with Michael (silently) banging on his park bench. Yes, that'll do just fine.
            Last edited by Quijote; 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM. Reason: Instrumentation

Comment

Working...
            X