2012 BBC proms - Beethoven symphonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 BBC proms - Beethoven symphonies

Daniel Barenboim directs his first Beethoven symphony cycle in London – and becomes the first conductor since Henry Wood in 1942 to survey all nine symphonies in a single Proms season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2012/july-20/14230
    'Man know thyself'

.....as well as promoting his Beethoven For All CD collections
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
      .....as well as promoting his Beethoven For All CD collections
      Well show me a concert artist who doesn't go in for self promotion!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I know he is 70 but he looked rather tired tonight. He is also talks to Proms Director Roger Wright about his abiding passion for the music of Beethoven. Available on the BBC iPlayer.
        Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
          I know he is 70 but he looked rather tired tonight. He is also talks to Proms Director Roger Wright about his abiding passion for the music of Beethoven. Available on the BBC iPlayer.
          Yes he did - I enjoyed the 2nd symphony more than the first which was a bit lack-lustre I thought. Shall be watching the 3rd and 4th tonight!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed Barenboim's Beethoven - but I wandered off (physically and mentally) during the Boulez.

This guy didn't, though:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/classical...stra-barenboim

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Thoroughly enjoyed Barenboim's Beethoven - but I wandered off (physically and mentally) during the Boulez.

This guy didn't, though:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/classical...stra-barenboim
              Watched the 3rd and 4th last night - why isn't he observing the repeats in the first movements? I thought the first movt of the Eroica was taken too slow, the score says Allegro con brio and I certainly didn't feel much vigour there - the orchestra seemed to engage more in the other movements. The 4th symphony had a lively account but as always with Barenboim (including his playing of the sonatas) I feel a sense of dry academia. So far I think the 2nd and 4th symphonies have been the most successful. As to the Boulez, interesting idea though I'd have found it more relevant to have had Barenboim play a Beethoven sonata or two between the symphonies if the intention really was to show the composer's development rather than to promote his friend's music.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I thought the 4th came off better than the Eroica which was a bit disappointing. I was more impressed with the Christian Thieleman/Vienna Phil which was broadcast a few months back. I thought the Simon Bolivar Orchestra's version which I saw last year blew them all away for sheer brio.

I also noticed that Daniel was leaving out the exposition repeats - maybe he is as tired as he looks (or can there be such a thing as too much Beethoven?).
                Interestingly, in the final movement of the 4th, he did repeat the exposition.

There is no way that he can omit the repeat in the opening movement of the 5th (next Thursday) but I will forgive him if he leaves out the finale repeat which nearly every conductor insists on playing, despite the fact that it upsets the balance of the whole symphony. (This is mainly down to Beethoven's diddering with the third movement - but that's another story).

My ears are still hurting from the Boulez "clarinet" piece.

Comment

A superb performance of the 7th symphony - the best of the cycle so far.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

And an excellent 9th - overall I think this cycle is very good and has been an enjoyable experience.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree. Did anyone see the superb documentary that was broadcast after the Ninth last night? It followed the E/W Divan orchestra and their travels and would have made a great introduction to the symphonies.
                      (Not that anyone here needs that. )

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        I agree. Did anyone see the superb documentary that was broadcast after the Ninth last night? It followed the E/W Divan orchestra and their travels and would have made a great introduction to the symphonies.
                        (Not that anyone here needs that. )
                        Yes Michael I saw that and agree it would perhaps have been best to have aired that prior to the start of the concerts. At least two people were watching last night though!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've followed the reviews (The Guardian) concerning the Beethoven symphonies/Baremboim, and they seem to have 'gone down well', so to speak (a bit like medecine?). Still, what a silly hooh-hah about including the Boulez !!

Comment

Here's an article from The Guardian about the Beethoven-Boulez combo Baremboim attempted in this season's Proms. Do check out the readers' comments that follow the article for the whole range of opinions:
                            http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/toms...arenboim-proms

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              Here's an article from The Guardian about the Beethoven-Boulez combo Baremboim attempted in this season's Proms. Do check out the readers' comments that follow the article for the whole range of opinions:
                              http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/toms...arenboim-proms
                              Well regardless of different opinions of the merits of Boulez, the question remains why Boulez with a cycle of Beethoven symphonies? I mean I heard Barenboim explaining his Beethoven cycle at the proms as a means of showing Beethoven's development as a composer, so one does wonder how the inclusion and promotion of his long time friend Boulez actually serves this purpose? I suggested that as Barenboim is a more than capable pianist, had his wish truly been to show Beethoven's development, then there could be nothing better than a carefully chosen sonata or two between symphonies.

I simply do not swallow the nonsense that either of these composers is better understood by juxtaposing them together. What would provide a better understanding of Beethoven would be programming his works with those of his contemporaries - for example early Beethoven sonatas with Dussek, Clementi and C.P.E. Bach would be very revealing.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X