What's your favoured mode of listening to music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favoured mode of listening to music

How do members prefer listening to classical music? Is it live performances, or relaxing quietly at home, or whilst working , or driving on a long journey?
    🎹

I'd say sitting at home and just listening. Live music is very exciting, but the convenience of being able to go back and re-listen to things is a major plus for me.

Comment

For me music cannot function as musical wall-paper. It has got to have my full attention. I listen for only around two hours a day (mostly especially reserved/ dedicated time, and therefore a bit dependent on how busy I am), preferably when it is dark, so that my attention is not distracted by visual impulses.
      I prefer recorded music, though I love live concerts and definitely attend them when given not too far away (which is only 4 or 5 times a year , and mostly war horse repertoire ).

I never listen to music while either working, travelling by car or walking/ bicycling.
      Last edited by Roehre; 04-28-2012, 10:15 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Nothing beats a live concert, but the next best is lying down in semi-darkness, eyes shut with the mp3 player headphones! I confess to playing music occasionally in the car which is an incredibly bad habit - it trains you not to concentrate on anything properly - driving or music!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree, there's nothing like a live performance, but otherwise I listen at home of an evening, or my other favourite time for listening is whilst busy in the kitchen, I make an effort to listen attentively. I think good music and good food go together.
          If music be the food of love, play on.
          🎹

Comment

Usually sitting in my front room which my good wife allowed me to take over many years ago for my sound equipment and CDs. Like myself, my speakers, amplifier, etc. are getting on in years but they produce a nice fat sound which fills the room. It suits me for all kinds of music but I'd hate to think what a true audiophile would make of it.

I particularly like to listen to chamber music (that name seems to have gone out of fashion, thank God!) on a pair of good quality headphones.

Recently, I have been given a present of an Apple iPod Nano and I am a new convert to music on the move. It's not much bigger than a postage stamp and thanks to some digital fiddling, it's capable of containing the complete works of Beethoven with room to spare. And it still manages to sound good through the earpods. It makes me take more outdoor exercise but I usually go out into the woods (like Beethoven) because I feel a bit of a twit wearing an iPod at my age!

Comment

Live concerts are wonderful, however there are a lot of distractions for me while there. Usually I have regret afterward of not having focused more on the music. Mostly I like to enjoy the music (CD's, MP3's, or whatever) in the confines of my home where I can have the time to focus without distractions.

Comment

Always.

Sadly, one of the few things I find comfort in is music. So, it is being played often.

I play it in the car - though, the funny thing is that my speakers are terrible, I have no cd player, I use the tape-deck in my car to play songs from the device I use for mp3's, the speakers crackle and pop, I have no radio (it is broken), and to top it all off the speakers only play the right channel!!! I find it funny now, though it is, well it it sucks.

I am referring to all different types of music - the reason being is because the way I listen is the same for all types.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I do put music on when I'm driving and doing work that demands less intense concentration. It enhances experiences that would otherwise be very dull. I've never found that it trained me not to listen attentively in other circumstances. It's like another mode of listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    I do put music on when I'm driving and doing work that demands less intense concentration. It enhances experiences that would otherwise be very dull. I've never found that it trained me not to listen attentively in other circumstances. It's like another mode of listening.
                    I agree, Chris. I listen a lot of times and places - and driving is one of the key times I listen.

My absolute favorite time is at night while in my pajamas, sitting on my couch, perhaps browsing the web, etc., while drinking and smoking. I'll go for hours upon hours like that! Just as I am doing now, .
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

My favourite way to enjoy listening music is via headphones while walking and hiking through the beautiful countryside, the hills and forests of my hometown. God's nature and music for me just belong together. As we know, the nature was also the favourite place for Beethoven to get his inspirations ...

Comment

Any way I can get it is usually good for me

The one way 256 mile commute to work each week starting at 3AM would be a great time-but I'm usually not in the mood for anything that produces sound-except the sound of slurping coffee.

I try to make it a habit at work, but too many people are in need of my attention at one time.

I'd love to after work, but am too tired to listen.

Heck--I need to B independently wealth-then I could go to concerts AND listen in private mode.

Actually, private mode listening is a great primer for all those live concerts in my dreams

Oh to have it all....

xoxoxo
                        E
                        "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Lots of contradictory views, and every one of them right! ...

That (much but not all) music deserves concentration is for sure ... so I agree with those who say that music should be listened to late evening, relaxing with only the hi-fi for company. But ...

There are other things to do, and the car (especially on motorways) is a place to catch up on missing hi-fi time.

Wallpaper? Heaven forbid ... except Heaven hasn't forbidden. I'm sitting at my computer in the study, on which (ie on the computer, not the study) I have just played part of a Gossec Mass, a Clementi symphony, Lilburn's Aotearoa and McEwen's Grey Galloway (ok, a weird combination), but now a Ries sonata floats up from the lounge as I return to the computer ostensibly to check my email inbox. Not ideal listening, but there it is.

Overall, I'm quite happy to use "light" music (a questionable term, but you know what I mean) as background, and regret not having (or making) time to sit in peace and quiet with "good" music (please, don't quibble about the words).

I'm not so keen on live concerts because (1) they tend to be war-horse- (or avant-gard-) driven, (2) they cost, (3) the traffic is grim, and (4) the last time I was at a concert I was hidden by a concrete pillar from the whole orchestra except the brass who were only feet away and further damaged an already damaged ear.

I must, however, take issue with "while walking and hiking through the beautiful countryside, the hills and forests". No, no, NO! Each (music and hills/hillscapes) ask for undivided attention. Music doesn't always get it (as discussed above), but the battle has to stop somewhere. When I'm out on the hills, my head is full of music, but my ears have the day off.

Comment

interesting post, Wy,

"Live" may also be viewed from the TV set (if one is so inclined to flip on that monster at the right and given time for a live broadcast to avoid all costs/annoyances you mentioned...it is perhaps the next best thing to "B'ing there and doing that" PBS stations are pretty good for hosting these...

xoxox
                            PHX
                            Last edited by EternaLisa; 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM. Reason: just to add a reminder that you can also throw popcorn at the screen-something you can't get away with from a front row seat!
                            "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Originally posted by Wyresider View Post

When I'm out on the hills, my head is full of music, but my ears have the day off.
                              Reminds me of a certain composer.

Comment

Working...
                              X