Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The same way as your disc - as a second trio in the 3rd movement.
    I wonder why it has never found its way into all performances of this work.
    (I bet you Roehre will know!)

Comment

Today:
      Langgaard:
      I Blomstringstiden - for mezzo-soprano & string quartet BVN 136 (1917) (R3: TtN)
      Lenaustemninger - for mezzo-soprano & string quartet BVN.138 (1917) (R3: TtN)

Glanert:
      Brahms-Fantasie (world premiere) (R3: Live in concert)

Comment

This morning: Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          The same way as your disc - as a second trio in the 3rd movement.
          I wonder why it has never found its way into all performances of this work.
          (I bet you Roehre will know!)
          The only reason I can imagine is the fact that Beethoven withheld it from publication and consequently it is not included in the standard scores/parts of the trios. It's not in the Beethoven Gesamt Ausgabe. It has been published quite recently and many a musician simply isn't aware -yet- of this 2nd trio's existence.
          But that's only my guess

Comment

Liszt - The Early Beethoven Transcriptions - Leslie Howard

Symphony No. 5 (First version)
            Adelaide (First version)
            Cadenza for the first movement of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3
            Marche funebre (Symphony No. 3) (First version)
            Symphony No. 6 (First version)
            Adelaide (Second version)
            Fifth movement from Symphony No. 6 (Second version)
            Symphony No. 7 (Fragment transcribed by Beethoven himself)
            Symphony No. 7 (First version)
            Fantasie uber Themen aus Beethovens Ruinen von Athen (First version)
            Berlioz - Marche au supplice de la Sinfonie fantastique (Second version)

It is especially interesting to compare the earlier versions of the symphony transcriptions here to the later versions I know well. The fragment of Beethoven's own attempt at a transcription of the 7th symphony is also interesting - it certainly shows Liszt's talent for this sort of work, and he seems more faithful to Beethoven's work than Beethoven himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              The fragment of Beethoven's own attempt at a transcription of the 7th symphony is also interesting - it certainly shows Liszt's talent for this sort of work, and he seems more faithful to Beethoven's work than Beethoven himself!
              Listening to it that's exactly true.
              Compare the notes however, and you will discover that Beethoven here began a mere piano reduction, and List a piano transcription. The former is true to the notes, the latter to the spirit (and the orchestral colours!) of the work.

Comment

Today:

Eisler:
                5 Orchesterstücke (1938)
                Kammer-Symphonie (1940)

Schubert (Manfred, that is ) :
                Symphony no.1 (1979/’82)

Comment

Today:

Schubert:
                  Des Teufels Lustschloss D.84 (1814) (R3:TtN)

Venetian Vespers by Monteverdi, Rigatti, Grandi, Cavalli, Finetti and Marini.
                  First Vespers of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (which is today, March 24th),
                  as it might have been celebrated in St.Mark’s in 1643.

Schubert:
                  Fierrabras opus 76 D.796 (1823) (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    The only reason I can imagine is the fact that Beethoven withheld it from publication and consequently it is not included in the standard scores/parts of the trios. It's not in the Beethoven Gesamt Ausgabe. It has been published quite recently and many a musician simply isn't aware -yet- of this 2nd trio's existence.
                    But that's only my guess
                    Not bad for a guess!

Comment

Today:

Schubert:
                      Adrast D.137 (R3: TtN) (no other recording available in any format afaik)
                      Fernando D.220 (R3: TtN)
                      4 Fugues D.24 (no other recording available in any format from the fragment D.24/4 afaik)
                      Trio-fragment D.111a
                      Tantum ergo in B flat major D.730
                      Gesang der Geister über den Wassern D.538
                      Nachtgesang im Walde D.913
                      Die Geselligkeit D.609
                      Der Hochzeitsbraten D.930
                      Tantum ergo in B flat major D.730
                      Der Gondelfahrer D.809

Gerster:
                      Festouvertüre 1948

Zechlin:
                      Musik für Orchester (1980)

Loevendie:
                      Naima: a strange Wedding (1986)

Comment

Quite inappropriately for the time of year I think, Brahms's lovely clarinet sonatas - they have an autumnal feel to me.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Just finished listening to Mozart's Piano Concerto 24 - the 1st mov. multiple times - and am in somekind of amazement, shock, etc. I have never connected with that piece as I just did. There is so much going on - so many notes and patterns, etc. I think Mozart was an extremely brilliant and very capable musician, as of now. People often say his music is lighter, etc. - though with the subjectivity of music it is hard to know, well that is at least what crossed my mind.

Anyway, back to the piece - the 1st mov. is overwhelming. The level of virtuosity on the piano sounded astounding, to my ears? Really powerful stuff it seemed.

As of now, I connect more with Mozart than Beethoven - always have for some reason?

Anyway, that piece was, simply put, amazing, etc.
                          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

This morning:

Sibelius' Violin Concerto
                            4th Movement of Tchaikowsky's 4th Symphony
                            Wagner's Prelude to Die Meistersingers

Comment

Beethoven:

Piano Concerto Movement in D, Kinsky Anh. 7
                              Piano Concerto in D, Op. 61a

Linnea Bardarson/Bohuslav Martinu Philharmonic Orchestra/Jon Ceander Mitchell

This is an interesting disc on Centaur from 2003. I was not aware that Anh. 7 was ever recorded, but it is here, and apparently it was considered authentic at first. Later it was claimed to the first movement of Johann Josef Roesler's Piano Concerto in D, Op. 15, based on an 1826 publication of the entire piece. So it seems that either Roesler composed it, Beethoven composed it and Roesler used it in his piece, or Beethoven composed it and the publisher substituted the movement in Roesler's piece.

Wherever it came from, I quite like it. It is a fine movement, and based on its quality I have no trouble believing it could have been composed by Beethoven in his Bonn years.

Does anyone know - has this piece been recorded by anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                Beethoven:

Piano Concerto Movement in D, Kinsky Anh. 7
                                Piano Concerto in D, Op. 61a

Linnea Bardarson/Bohuslav Martinu Philharmonic Orchestra/Jon Ceander Mitchell

This is an interesting disc on Centaur from 2003. I was not aware that Anh. 7 was ever recorded, but it is here, and apparently it was considered authentic at first. Later it was claimed to the first movement of Johann Josef Roesler's Piano Concerto in D, Op. 15, based on an 1826 publication of the entire piece. So it seems that either Roesler composed it, Beethoven composed it and Roesler used it in his piece, or Beethoven composed it and the publisher substituted the movement in Roesler's piece.

Wherever it came from, I quite like it. It is a fine movement, and based on its quality I have no trouble believing it could have been composed by Beethoven in his Bonn years.

Does anyone know - has this piece been recorded by anyone else?
                                Ages ago already, late 1960s early 1970s.

It was on a Turnabout LP coupled with the Concerto WoO 4 (Martin Galling, Berlin symphony Orchestra, C.A.Bünte), recorded in 1971. This recording resurfaced as at leat one Turnabout CD called "Young Beethoven" in 1991 or '92.

Felicja Blumenthal (with the Brno-Philharmonic/Alberto Zedda) recorded Anh.7 in 1970 for Unicorn, coupled with (again) WoO4, the Rondo WoO 6, but also with AFAIK the premiere recording of the Romanza Cantabile Hess 13.
                                In the late 1970s this LP was re-issued on Everest as part of a 5LP set with all Beethoven works for piano and orchestra on Everest.
                                As CD it was re-issued as an Ars Classicum CD in a series with other less well known composers' piano concertos from the classical period - this time Anh.7 was coupled with a concerto by Ries.

Interestingly these two rather old recordings seem to use different scores of the piece: in the very opening one has a silence after the first phrase, the other two drum beats, similar to those in the piano concerto opus 61a.

Now an inventory of by far the best part of the Beethoven sketches has been compiled (the Schmidt-verzeichnis in Beethoven Jahrbuch 1970 already did so for approximately 70%), and no sketches whatsoever have shown up for a piano concerto in D, it looks like this work is by Rössler after all.

But the lack of sketches could also mean that these went lost or went astray otherwise. However: This D-major mvt is the only of the piano+orchestra works by Beethoven of which we haven't got any autographic material whatsoever: no sketches, no descriptions/mentions in correspondence, no score pages, or some kind of circumstantial evidence.
                                From works like the oboe concerto we at least know it once existed.

Stylistic differences between the 1st mvt and the 2nd/3rd ones (which are Rössler's without any doubt) seem to point either at another author (Beethoven?) or a long time lapsing between the composition of the first and the latter movements of the work.

Personally I think it isn't Beethoven. But a nice piece it certainly is.
                                Last edited by Roehre; 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X