Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Was Your Favorite Classical "Find" of 2011

Mine was:

It's one of mine as well -apart from the fact only the "song"-texts are included in stead of the liner note which accompany the original CD-issues.

Comment

It has to be the amazing voice of Chernegov-Nomerov Egor and the Russian Orthodox Choir singing Chesnokov's "Gabriel Appeared". To my knowledge there are unfortunately no recordings available of him or this choir.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzK5YEVMHn4[/YOUTUBE]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

This year I found myself interested in Renaissance music as well and asked Santa for an 'English Renaissance Music' CD. We'll see if it appears under the tree.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

To be honest, I just purchased 3 albums the other day - 99 Essential Pieces of Vivaldi, Mozart, and Chopin. For me this has been a great find. Primarily because it has opened my eyes towards Chopin's piano music far, far, more - and there are 99 songs from each composer! In some sense, I'm slightly surprised that a great find for me of this year has been albums of this nature - the "$2 albums". Though they deliver, !
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            To be honest, I just purchased 3 albums the other day - 99 Essential Pieces of Vivaldi, Mozart, and Chopin. For me this has been a great find. Primarily because it has opened my eyes towards Chopin's piano music far, far, more - and there are 99 songs from each composer! In some sense, I'm slightly surprised that a great find for me of this year has been albums of this nature - the "$2 albums". Though they deliver, !
            Chopin is a composer I've learned to enjoy mostly through playing the music. For some reason, listening to the music didn't do too much for me until I actually started to learn some of it. Then it has become immensely enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              Chopin is a composer I've learned to enjoy mostly through playing the music. For some reason, listening to the music didn't do too much for me until I actually started to learn some of it. Then it has become immensely enjoyable.

I have grown to like Chopin's music too.
              🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Props to you on that, Sorrano! The day I can play Chopin is a day I will be happy, so to say.

For me, I seem to find more enjoyment, and it is like I can feel his music more, than a pretty decent portion of other classical. Something about it???

Comment

I realise that this thread is called "Your Favourite Classical Find of 2011" but if I may be allowed to stretch the title to "Your Favourite Musical Find of 2011", it would have to be the "Beatles in Mono" - an expensive and "limited" edition of the Beatles recordings in their original state.
                  As I already had two complete Beatle sets, I must thank my ever-patient wife for allowing me to indulge in my other musical obsession.

Comment

Props to you on that, Sorrano! The day I can play Chopin is a day I will be happy, so to say.

For me, I seem to find more enjoyment, and it is like I can feel his music more, than a pretty decent portion of other classical. Something about it???
                    I think some of his finest music is found in the mazurkas - I always return to them, exquisite little gems!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm having difficulty answering this question. I think maybe...The Complete Early Divertimenti by Haydn on BIS. Fascinating to hear these early works by Haydn - not yet in the full bloom of his brilliance, but the seeds are there and the pieces are full of youth and delight.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        I think some of his finest music is found in the mazurkas - I always return to them, exquisite little gems!
                        I have been focusing on the nocturnes so far. I keep coming back to the Op. 9 #1 in B-flat minor. I find it calming, deep, passionate, etc. and it is moving to me. I've listened to a couple of the major nocturnes and a some seem to be a little too happy and bubbly, so to say... ?

I haven't listened to many of the mazurkas, at all, yet, so will look forward to that. Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          I'm having difficulty answering this question.
                          Chris, if I am remembering correctly, based on the listening thread - I can see why, , lol!!! It seems you went through numerous sets, particularly of Haydn and Bach, and probably others?

Comment

Chris, if I am remembering correctly, based on the listening thread - I can see why, , lol!!! It seems you went through numerous sets, particularly of Haydn and Bach, and probably others?
                            Yes, quite a bit of Haydn and Bach this year!

Comment

I have been focusing on the nocturnes so far. I keep coming back to the Op. 9 #1 in B-flat minor. I find it calming, deep, passionate, etc. and it is moving to me. I've listened to a couple of the major nocturnes and a some seem to be a little too happy and bubbly, so to say... ?

I haven't listened to many of the mazurkas, at all, yet, so will look forward to that. Any recommendations?
                              It seems your tastes are towards the minor mode and slow tempi so amongst the finest of these I think are Op.17 no.2 and 4 / Op.59 no.1 and the poignant last piece Chopin wrote Op.68 no.4. I also like Op.59 no.2 which though is amongst the happier ones being in Ab major, but it has a lovely melody and a very interesting chromatic passage.

Other Chopin 'musts' I think are the Barcarolle, Berceuse, Ballades 1 and 4, Prelude no.8, Impromptu no.2, Polonaise in F#minor Op.44 and without doubt the sonata no.2 in Bb minor.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X