This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preston View Post
    Sorrano, I made a mistake, I'm not listening to the 1887 version (which I am doubting one exist?) but the 1889 version, conducted by Kurt Sanderling. Sorry about that.

http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symph...63470&sr=301-5
    It's easy to get confused with all the different versions of the symphony (not to mention that most of the other symphonies have multiple versions as well). Enjoy the symphony and let it take you to wherever it goes.

Comment

Mozart - Ein musikalischer Spaß, K 522

I think Mozart is making fun of my inability to consistently play in tune in the higher positions on the violin

Comment

listening to Mozart's overture to Marriage of Figaro - amazing string writing me thinks.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

9th
          Furtwangler 1954
          '51
          '42
          See. Feel. Paint.

Comment

Johann Sebastian Bach — Aria: Ich habe genung from Cantata BWV 82
            Performer: Peter Kooij (bass) Performer: Bach Collegium Japan Performer: Masaaki Suzuki (conductor)

Johannes Brahms — Fugue from Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, Op.24
            Performer: Francesco Piemontesi (piano
            🎹

Comment

Grosse Fuge
              Fuer Elise
              Eroica
              Last edited by painter_mindscapes; 01-13-2012, 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
              See. Feel. Paint.

Comment

After a night's wine-drinking with friends, I switched on the Sky Arts Channel. I must be slipping (or drunk) because it took me about ten seconds to identify the piece of music being played - it was the end of the slow movement of the Ninth.
                I prevailed upon my wife to sit up with me as Daniel Barenboim and the East-West Divan Orchestra (pedants: be aware that I might not have the exact name here) launched into the mighty finale.
                This young orchestra (and not-so-young chorus and soloists) gave this movement everything they had - with smiling faces (which is not very common in "serious" music). The audience, on the other hand, looked like they were constipated, but they did give a standing ovation. I wish they had reacted like I did at the Paul McCartney concert a couple of years back, but the constraints of "art music" are hard to break out of. (I don't quite know how to end that last sentence without a preposition.)
                Anyway, although I missed the first three movements, I have to echo what Peter said some few weeks back, and say that The Ninth is one mighty beast! (I am paraphrasing, of course, Peter!)

Comment

Since it was only 10 seconds - I'd say drunk - though since it was YOU (a devout Beethovian) - I might wonder if "slipping" might be part of the problem - just kidding of course, 10 seconds and being drunk is actually pretty damn good!

Comment

All this alcoholic talk is rather timely as I'm listening to Sibelius's Violin concerto, the product of one enormous binge I believe!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, would you please elaborate on Sibelius's Violin Concerto and alcohol? The reason being, I might have to drink to that tonight, ! Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        All this alcoholic talk is rather timely as I'm listening to Sibelius's Violin concerto, the product of one enormous binge I believe!
                        That's funny! About a week ago I caught the tail end of the concerto and the announcer made some comments about Sibelius' problem, especially in relationship to the concerto. However, I don't remember the details of that, now.

Comment

listening to Mozart's symphony 31

also, just because Mozart wrote a lot in the major does not make it any less profound, to my mind.? i feel like people say he is fluffy or light because he used a lot of major.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                            Peter, would you please elaborate on Sibelius's Violin Concerto and alcohol? The reason being, I might have to drink to that tonight, ! Seriously.
                            Sibelius in his youth was a heavy drinker and I mean heavy - binges that lasted days. I think he disappeared on a 2 or 3 week bender during the composition of the violin concerto - he was cured of his excesses by a successful operation in 1908 for suspected throat cancer after which he rarely touched a drop - he lived on until 1957 but composed little in the last 30 years of life.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              Sibelius in his youth was a heavy drinker and I mean heavy - binges that lasted days. I think he disappeared on a 2 or 3 week bender during the composition of the violin concerto - he was cured of his excesses by a successful operation in 1908 for suspected throat cancer after which he rarely touched a drop - he lived on until 1957 but composed little in the last 30 years of life.
                              Listening to the above-mentioned violin concerto and thinking that alcohol certainly didn't stifle his creativity.

Comment

Handel's 12 Concerti grossi Op.6 - incredible to think they were written in the space of a month and despite a few borrowings and reworkings, most were newly composed - a feat to rival Mozart's last 3 symphonies and Schubert's last sonatas!
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X