• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today:

Kodaly:
    Theatre overture (1927)
    A Summer Evening (1906)

Bargiel:
    Adagio for cello and piano op.38 (1871) (R3: lunchtime concert)

Cherubini:
    Démophon: Overture (1788) (R3: Ao3)

Holliger:
    Schneewittchen (1997/’98)

Comment

Roehre, I notice that Kodaly has been frequently in your listening list. Are these new releases, by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        I will have to pay more attention to the Skyrim score; the game is a bit distracting from that.

Last night: Haydn's Theresia Mass. (Thanks, Michael!)
        I didn't write it! Thank Haydn.

Just listening to Beethoven's variations on a theme by Salieri - really enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Just listening to Beethoven's variations on a theme by Salieri - really enjoyable.
          I should have specified Joseph Haydn and not Michael Haydn. My mistake!

Comment

Roehre, I notice that Kodaly has been frequently in your listening list. Are these new releases, by chance?
            Sorrano,
            These recordings stem from the 1970s Decca 3LP-set of Kodaly's complete orchestral music, played by the Philharmonia Hungarica/Antal Dorati.
            Most -but not all, as the 2 LPs exceed the 160 minutes- was put on a Philips/Decca 2CD-set around 2000, but this is a 4 CD set Decca 478 2303 released in 2010, in which the 2 "extra" CDs are filled with the complete Hary Janos, the Psalmus hungaricus and the other "missing" orchestral works.

As the original LP set is still one of my treasured sets, I was happily surprised to discover this CD-set in a 2nd hand shop.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              Sorrano,
              These recordings stem from the 1970s Decca 3LP-set of Kodaly's complete orchestral music, played by the Philharmonia Hungarica/Antal Dorati.
              Most -but not all, as the 2 LPs exceed the 160 minutes- was put on a Philips/Decca 2CD-set around 2000, but this is a 4 CD set Decca 478 2303 released in 2010, in which the 2 "extra" CDs are filled with the complete Hary Janos, the Psalmus hungaricus and the other "missing" orchestral works.

As the original LP set is still one of my treasured sets, I was happily surprised to discover this CD-set in a 2nd hand shop.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

Thanks! I will have to check that out. Kodaly and Bartok have been 20th Century favorites for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I should have specified Joseph Haydn and not Michael Haydn. My mistake!
                this is not ql, nor qlol, but LOL!
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Roehre, are you familiar with any of Michael Kamen's work? If so, any thoughts?

Comment

Today:

Finzi:
                    By Footpath and Stile. Opus 2 (1922) (R3: Saturday Classics)

Harty:
                    Fantasy Scenes on an Eastern Romance (1919) (R3: Saturday Classics)

Chick Corea:
                    The Brain
                    Waltz for Bill Evans
                    Converge
                    Vamp

(Chick Corea kbs; Woody Shaw tpt; Hubert Laws flute; Bennie Maupin ten-sax; Dave Holland bass; Horacee Arnold perc – date: 1970s; location ?)

Harvey (R3: Hear and Now):
                    Calling Across Time (1998)
                    Marahi (1999)
                    Forms of Emptiness (1986)
                    Madonna of Winter and Spring (1986)

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      Roehre, are you familiar with any of Michael Kamen's work? If so, any thoughts?
                      I am sorry Preston, I am totally unfamiliar with any of his music.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        I am sorry Preston, I am totally unfamiliar with any of his music.
                        do not be sorry. though, you definitely must be a recluse when it comes to 20th century music! though, i know little of him - he worked as a keyboardist and orchestrator of rock bands such as Pink Floyd, Metallica. and Guns n' Roses - at least that is about all i know.

if curious:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kamen

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                          you definitely must be a recluse when it comes to 20th century music!

Comment

ql - you are indeed. so much so you do not even understand how. though, when i said 20th century music i did mean more of the mainstream - though that is why i was saying you were reclusive, or particular is probably the better word (well, quite particular, at least to my mind), because somehow you have missed a lot of history. i am imagining you would not like it that much anyway though?

Comment

I think Roehre is the most knowledgeable person here with regard to 20th century music. I've never even heard of most of the 20th century composers he listens to.

Comment

Today:

Kodaly:
                                Hary Janos (complete Singspiel) op.15 (1926)

Tallis:
                                Salve intemerata
                                Kyrie Deus Creator
                                Missa Salve intemerata

Sibelius:
                                Fragments, sketches and incomplete works, i.a.:
                                Luonnottar op.70 -score sketch
                                Untitled orchestral fragment in A (1907/’10)
                                Piano sketches from Kullervo, Symphony 2 and 5
                                Kylikki op.41: 3 sketches and variants
                                2 Pieces for organ op.111: sketches/variants
                                Last edited by Roehre; 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X