Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Michael;54248]I hope you're not developing Beethoven's condition, Megan. He heard noises in his ears too!
    And quite a lot of his music has been used as jingles.

Haha, Michael

One thought did occur to me that the jingle or kind of ting, ting, sound may have been the radio 2 presenter rather noisily stirring his cup of tea with the teaspoon .

Wish I never mentioned it now.
    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      [...] Triangles can only play one pitch - I've no idea what that is [sic] though! [...]
      Almost right, but not in the singular (see editing of the post above). There are various sizes of triangles and each one sounds a different pitch. In any case, there are no triangles in B's string quartets, as confirmed by Pedro.
      Last edited by Quijote; 11-18-2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: Change of adjective

Comment

Today (in class), two works by Xenakis : KOTTOS (for solo 'cello) and METASTASIS. Must be something to do with the Greek crisis. Architecture as music?
        Last edited by Quijote; 11-18-2011, 08:31 PM. Reason: Or music as architecture?

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
          Cantata “Ich glaube, lieber Herr, hilf meinem Unglauben” BWV 109

Karayev:
          Violin concerto (1967)

Lourié:
          Concerto da Camera (1947)

Benoit:
          De Elzenkoning (1859)

Alpaerts:
          Uilenspiegel (1927)

Rosseau:
          De Pracht van Sicilië (1948)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            Almost right, but not in the singular (see editing of the post above). There are various sizes of triangles and each one sounds a different pitch. In any case, there are no triangles in B's string quartets, as confirmed by Pedro.
            I meant that a single triangle can't play more than one pitch!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Continuing my journey through the Beethoven quartets with the Razumovsky's now and it honestly comes as a pleasant change from the earlier Op.18 quartets - the advance in these few years is quite incredible.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Martynov:
                Come In! for violin, celesta and strings (1988)
                Mix Mahler’s Adagietto with Barber’s Adagio and Pärt’s Cantus In Memoriam Benjamin Britten, interrupt the flow of string music by Tchaikovskyan celestas à la Nutkracker, and you’ve got a clue what one has to suffer by listening to this for nearly half an hour – might be an effective recipe against yobs though.

Prokofiev:
                Violin sonata nr.1 in f opus 80
                Sonata for two violins in C op.56

Kupkovic:
                Souvenir (1972 rev 1978)

Comment

For some reason decided to listen to a Bruckner Symphony (probably the talk on the forum). I have never really listened to Bruckner, except for that piece Sorrano suggested - Te Deum, which was unpleasant to my ears (no offense Sorrano, ). I chose the 7th and am 5 minutes in. So far I've found it pleasant, enjoyable, etc. For me, the tempo is better or sounds better, then, not a lot, but a good portion of classical I've heard. I actually find it somewhat meditative, though I am not really a "meditator", so perhaps it is very meditative? Seems like it could be. Now I am 12 minutes into it and it has gotten a little more intense.
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Waldstein and Appassionata. Gilels.

(Terse, huh?)

Comment

Just listened to a superb programme on the career of William Byrd.
                      On BBC Radio 3. Early Music Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017cgdf

Byrd wrote his music for the small hidden secret and dangerous places of the persecuted English Catholic community of the late 16th century.
                      The extraordinary thing about Byrd is that although he payed fines for his recusancy, he was allowed to practice his faith pretty much openly by the Queen and the English secret service headed by Walsingham.
                      He was obviously very gifted and the Queen and the government either knew he was not a political threat or was so taken with his music and personality and turned a blind eye. Queen Elizabeth 1, did like the Latin Mass.

Favouritism.
                      🎹

Comment

Today:

Kabalevsky:
                        Violin concerto in C op.48 (1948)

Tchaikovsky:
                        Violin concerto in D op.35

Korngold:

Busoni:

Comment

Today:

S.Tanaiev:
                          Concert Suite for violin and orchestra op.28 (1910)

Holliger:
                          Scardanelli-zyklus
                          Last edited by Roehre; 11-21-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

This morning.

06:31
                            Benjamin Britten — Hymn to Ct Cecilia Op 27: 1st mvt - In a garden shady this holy ladyPerformer: Choir of King’s College, Cambridge

EMI 2 17543 2, CD17 Tr. 1 06:35
                            Claude Debussy — Suite bergamasque for piano, Clair de lune
                            Performer: Jean Yves Thibaudet [piano]
                            Decca 460 247-2, Tr. 3 06:40
                            Leonard Bernstein — In Memoriam and March: ‘The BSO Forever’ from Divertimento for Orchestra
                            Performer: City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra Performer: Paavo Järvi [conductor]

Virgin Classics 7243 45295 2 8, Tr. 18 06:49
                            Antonio Vivaldi — Concerto for oboe, violin and orchestra (RV.548) in B flat major
                            Performer: Nigel Kennedy [violin
                            ] Performer: Albrecht Mayer [oboe] Performer: Members of the Berlin Philharmonic

EMI Classics 5578592, Tr. 14-16 07:03
                            Henry Purcell — Hail! Bright Cecilia, Hail to thee! From Hail! Bright Cecelia
                            Performer: The Kings Consort Performer: Robert King
                            [director]

Helios CDH 55327, Tr. 13 07:08
                            Joaquín Rodrigo — Fantastia para un gentilhombre: 4th mvt: Canario
                            Performer: Chamber Orchestra of Europe Performer: Charles Ramirez
                            [guitar] Performer: Douglas Boyd [conductor]

Signum SIGCD 244, Tr. 7 07:14
                            Nikolai Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov — Flight of the Bumble BeePerformer: Christian Lindberg [trombone] Performer: Roland Pontinen [piano]

BIS CD 258, Tr. 1 07:16
                            Einojuhani Rautavaara — Cantus Arcticus Op 61 – Concerto for Birds and Orchestra: 2nd mvt – MelancholyPerformer: Klemetti Institute Symphony Orchestra Performer: Pertti Pekkanen (conductor)

Finlandia 3984 27003-2, CD1 Tr. 2 07:20
                            Felix Mendelssohn — Violin Concerto – final mvtPerformer: James Ehnes [violin] Performer: Philharmonia Orchestra Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy [conductor]

Onyx 4060, Tr. 3 07:26
                            Hildegard von Bingen — Spiritus Sanctus Vivificans
                            Performer: Armonico Consort Performer:
                            Christopher Monks [director]

Signum SIGCD235, Tr. 6 07:31
                            Luigi Boccherini — Symphonie no 26 in C minor Op 41 G519Performer: Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin

Harmonia Mundi HMX 2901673, Tr. 13
                            Last edited by Megan; 11-22-2011, 06:39 AM.
                            🎹

Comment

Up Bright and early Megan to celebrate St.Cecilia's day I see!!
                              Thanks for reminding me and I'll take the chance if I have time later to listen to the Purcell Ode which was one of the set works in my A level music many saint's days ago! here is some more info about the patron saint of musicians; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cecilia
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                Up Bright and early Megan to celebrate St.Cecilia's day I see!!
                                Thanks for reminding me and I'll take the chance if I have time later to listen to the Purcell Ode which was one of the set works in my A level music many saint's days ago! here is some more info about the patron saint of musicians; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cecilia
                                Many thanks for the link Peter, and a happy saint day to you.
                                Weatherwise, it feels like summer this morning, it is so warm I have flung all the windows open!
                                Last edited by Megan; 11-22-2011, 07:17 AM.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X