No announcement yet.

This is Scary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lisa, that made perfect sense! Notwithstanding the geek in me and having spent many years in technology it urks me considerably to see people using cell phones and other electronic paraphernalia in the concert hall (among other public places where attention is demanded onstage), as well. As you succinctly said, people are "laying aside the art of listening". It was not too long ago that we all got along fine without cell phones and all these other devices that now seem to dominate so many lives. There is much out there that people miss because of their obsessions with the devices. As well as losing the art of listening the art of sociable behavior is also being lost as people are losing the physical connections one with another. It's a sad state of affairs that we are plunging into.

Comment

Originally posted by EternaLisa View Post
      Preston and Sorrano, I would add that while we are actually blessed with the technology, we at the same time abuse it-use it for wrong reasons.E
      While I enjoy what it can do, I disagree that we are blessed with technology. I think though am not sure that it may be more of a curse than a blessing. I think I might consider technology wholly evil, I doubt it though am not sure? At least something to think about.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        While I enjoy what it can do, I disagree that we are blessed with technology. I think though am not sure that it may be more of a curse than a blessing. I think I might consider technology wholly evil, I doubt it though am not sure? At least something to think about.
        One of the benefits of technology is that more people are able to eat with respect to increasing the ability to produce more food as well as distribute it more quickly to those in need. There are medical advances that reduce and in some cases eliminate pain while healing the physical body of various ailments that was not possible 50 years ago. Being able to communicate via mobile devices has saved lives during recent disasters as we have seen the the recent tsunami's and earthquakes. If people used technology responsibly many of the problems that you are concerned about would probably just disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          One of the benefits of technology is that more people are able to eat with respect to increasing the ability to produce more food as well as distribute it more quickly to those in need. There are medical advances that reduce and in some cases eliminate pain while healing the physical body of various ailments that was not possible 50 years ago. Being able to communicate via mobile devices has saved lives during recent disasters as we have seen the the recent tsunami's and earthquakes. If people used technology responsibly many of the problems that you are concerned about would probably just disappear.
          Imo, Earth is completely overcrowded. That is one of the key problems why we are destroying the planet. The planet cannot maintain the amount of people that live on it, and live on it in such a sickening way. For what? Imo, there needs to be laws on the amount of children that are allowed in order to save the dying planet. Some of the advances in the medical field are truly something. Though, is it worth it? What I often tell people when concerning the medical field is that eventually we are going to be pushed, if not forced, to have somekind of liquid vitamin supplements pumped in our stomach for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We used to let people have honest death now the doctors make them cling to life with machines, stents, etc. I am not saying it is all bad, but it is something serious to think about, imo. I smoke additive free tobacco (cigarettes and pipe), among other things, and I say to smokers that people have smoked for millions of years and in the last 50 years they have condemned it to death. Does that make sense? Not to me.

Though, I do believe something people should question is if technology is evil (whether it be wholly or not). There are many who believe not and many who believe so.

For a large part, I don't believe in the science, math, schools, teachings, etc. of today's time. In fact, I find them a disgrace. You speak the word philosophy (even evolution) in schools and the masses speak against it?!

Comment

Good God, I've started World War 3 !

Whatever about technology, it seems to me that people are finding it more and more difficult just to LISTEN to music for any extended length of time. My own attention span seems to be getting worse as I get older and I find myself getting restless after about ten minutes of listening, but I force myself to concentrate and I can usually get back on track.

Following a score is a great help and I wish I could do it, but I think that should be for private listening. I once sat next to a guy who never once looked at the stage during a performance of the Bach B minor mass. He had his head buried in a large bound score. It annoyed me immensely (but that could be plain jealousy).
            At least he wasn't like the lady who sat through a performance of "Faust" following the score intently. Someone sitting nearby noticed that the score was by Berlioz, but the stage performance was Gounod!

However, the thought of someone in the audience holding an oversized cell phone with its attendant lighting ..... well, it would be like someone texting next to you at the movies (which happens a lot).

I think I'm beginning to sound like somebody in the BBC series "Grumpy Old Men" but I'm quite pleasant, really. Really.

Comment

Sorry if I got too opinionated. Too many subjects do that to me, and technology is one of them. I really didn't mean to and was just discussing, and still wonder. I didn't think an argument had been started, just thought we were each expressing our opinions. I am now confused, ? Sorry, if anything was too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                Sorry if I got too opinionated. Too many subjects do that to me, and technology is one of them. I really didn't mean to and was just discussing, and still wonder. I didn't think an argument had been started, just thought we were each expressing our opinions. I am now confused, ? Sorry, if anything was too much.
                I was just joking about WW3, Preston. All I meant was that it was a lively discussion. If anyone was going over the top, it was me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cult...-concerts.html

It seems people will do anything but listen to the bloody music!
                  I know, it's terrible. People will insist on doing other activities instead of focusing their ears on the music. Give them a baton round, it's the only language they understand.

Comment

Working...
                  X