This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Complete Bach organ cycles these days do tend to use different organs, yes, often to try to use instruments like what Bach would have had at his disposal when he actually wrote the various pieces. The Weinberger set I mentioned made use of several historical instruments anf the Herrick set made use of seven different Metzler organs throughout Switzerland. The Metzler organs are not historical instruments (they were mostly made in the 1980s), but they were made to make an authentic Baroque sound, so the Bach repertoire sounds right at home on them.
    That is quality! Good to know too. I hope to eventually get a complete set of Bach's organ works. I do enjoy listening to some of them, I would say all but some I don't know and some are beyond my scope.
    There is certainly something to be said for choosing the right type of organ, but the other part of it is for the organist to make good choices in registration. If you are playing on a big organ but have a delicate piece to play, you might just pull one or two flute stops and get a very appropriate sound.
    I know too little about the organ, thanks for the information. I wish you well in your learning and studying.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Schumann Piano trios 1-3.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Smetana:
        Orchestral music from operas-
        The Kiss: Overture (1876)
        The Secret: Overture (1878)
        The Devill’s Wall: Introduction and Infernal Dance Acte 3 (1882)

Bruckner:
        Symphony no.3 in d (3rd version 889/ Nowak) (The latest BBCMM CD)
        Nicely recorded, IMO a worthy and balanced interpretation. Beautifully phrased
        Reminds me of Jochum’s 1967 recording on DGG with the BavarianRSO.
        Interesting comparison, as the slow movements are both 15.09, though Jochum’s outer movements are faster:
        I Nelsons 22.45, Jochum 19.51
        IV Nelsons 12.45 Jochum 10.35
        Nelsons seem to have an approach regarding “basic tempo” of movts which is similar to Jochum’s, though – looking at the playing times- around 10 % slower.

Messiean:
        Le Réveil des Oiseaux (1953)

Comment

Brahms Double Concerto for violin and cello.
          🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Brahms Double Concerto for violin and cello.
            Who's playing Megan? There was a fine performance of the double concerto at the proms a few weeks ago with the brothers Renaud and Gautier Capuçon.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE=Peter;52173]Who's playing Megan? There was a fine performance of the double concerto at the proms a few weeks ago with the brothers Renaud and Gautier Capuçon.[/QUOTE
              I would like to have heard that performance Peter.

The performance or Brahm's double concerto I listened to this morning was by
              Performer: Yo-Yo Ma (cello) Performer: Isaac Stern (violin) Performer: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Performer: Claudio Abbado (conductor)

This coming Saturday night, Nigel Kennedy will be playing Bach at the Proms, this will present a good opportunity for me to listen to him even though he's not on my radar as one of my favourite violinists.

Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London

Presented by Suzy Klein

Nigel Kennedy brings his unique musical style and his love of the works of Bach to a programme of solo violin works.

J. S. Bach:
              Partita No. 3 in E major - Prelude
              Partita No. 2 in D minor

Nigel Kennedy (violin).

🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Today:

Bruckner:
                Symphony no.3 in d (3rd version 889/ Nowak) (The latest BBCMM CD)
                Nicely recorded, IMO a worthy and balanced interpretation. Beautifully phrased
                Reminds me of Jochum’s 1967 recording on DGG with the BavarianRSO.
                Interesting comparison, as the slow movements are both 15.09, though Jochum’s outer movements are faster:
                I Nelsons 22.45, Jochum 19.51
                IV Nelsons 12.45 Jochum 10.35
                Nelsons seem to have an approach regarding “basic tempo” of movts which is similar to Jochum’s, though – looking at the playing times- around 10 % slower.
                Which of the two interpretations do you prefer?

Today:

Lully: "Alceste": Suite (the radio came on with this playing and I wondered if it might be Jeremiah Clarke at first).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  Which of the two interpretations do you prefer?
                  The Jochum, mainly because the Nelsons is a live recording and (therefore?)slightly less balanced. But to be fair: the public is quiet, and there are no irritating coughs audible.
                  Last edited by Roehre; 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM. Reason: it's quiet, not quite :-)

Comment

Thanks! I might have to give the Nelson version a shot if it's readily available in the US. For a time the 3rd was my favorite of the symphonies, but then it was the first one that really caught my ear. (I can't say I do have a favorite, now, it depends on which one I am listening to!)

Comment

Today:

Sibelius:
                      String quartet in d op.56 “Voces intimae

JSBach:
                      Kyrie in F BWV233a
                      Missa in F BWV233
                      Missa in A BWV234

Webern:
                      Pieces for Orchestra M.183-189 (1913, originally planned to be part of the Pieces opus 10)
                      Symphony opus 21

Maxwell Davies:
                      Sinfonia (1962)

Comment

Today:

Busoni:
                        Finnländische Volksweisen opus 27 Kind227 (1888) (R3: TtN)

JSBach:
                        Missa in g BWV235
                        Missa in G BWV236
                        Sanctus-movements BWV237, 238, 240 and 241
                        Christe eleison BWV 242
                        Credo BWV 1081

Brahms:
                        German Folksongs
                        WoO 33 (a selection)

Berio:
                        Folksongs (1964)

Martin:
                        Piano trio on Irish folksongs (1925)

Shostakovich:
                        8 English and American Folksongs (1944)

Bax:
                        5 Greek Folk Songs (1946)

Comment

JSBach:
                          Sanctus-movements BWV237, 238, 240 and 241
                          Christe eleison BWV 242
                          Credo BWV 1081
                          Those aren't recorded often. May I ask what release these are from?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            Those aren't recorded often. May I ask what release these are from?
                            Chris, these stem from the Hännsler Complete Bach Edition.
                            One of the reasons these aren't that recorded that often is their authorship. Though all of them are undoubtedly by JSBach -in his own handwriting that is-at least three, and possibly all of these pieces are arrangements by JSBach of other composers' Mass-movements.

All of these, including the spurious BWV239, were included in the Teldec (harnoncourt) Complete Bach 2000 release as well (which I've got too), and Brilliant recorded them for a separate volume of their Complete Bach too (which I haven't, but are certainly value for money).

Comment

Chris, these stem from the Hännsler Complete Bach Edition.
                              One of the reasons these aren't that recorded that often is their authorship. Though all of them are undoubtedly by JSBach -in his own handwriting that is-at least three, and possibly all of these pieces are arrangements by JSBach of other composers' Mass-movements.

All of these, including the spurious BWV239, were included in the Teldec (harnoncourt) Complete Bach 2000 release as well (which I've got too), and Brilliant recorded them for a separate volume of their Complete Bach too (which I haven't, but are certainly value for money).
                              Thanks. I knew they were included in volumes of the various complete Bach editions, but unfortunately most of those are no longer available and/or were recorded on modern instruments, which is not my preference with this kind of music. Koopman included the Lutheran Masses in his Bach Cantata cycle, but alas included none of these pieces. Herreweghe also recorded the Lutheran Masses, and did include one of them.

Comment

Today:

Grétry:
                                L’Espreuve villageoise (1784): overture
                                La Caravan du Caire: ballet (1783)
                                Céphale et Procris: ballet (1775)

Berio:
                                Folksongs (1964)

Birtwistle:
                                Panic (1995)

Benjamin:
                                Ringed by the flat Horizon (1979/’80)