Sexy Beethoven 5th - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexy Beethoven 5th - Good or Bad?

Well in my daily internet trawl of looking for interesting Beethoven videos I came across...this.

INFINITY Electric String Quartet - SYMPHONY No 5 - BEETHOVEN
    The Best Russian Electric String Quartet,Charity Concert,
    Arrange by Karen Gasparyan
    Classic Show "IINFINITY" is the synthesis of a string quartet and а fancy-dress show with the light, sound and illusion effects.
    What is the string quartet? In the direct classical sense that is - two violins, viola and cello. Just add bold and unexpected arrangements of familiar musical composition and a few dance pas performed by four graceful ladies that give to listeners an opportunity to discover new ways of performing of the world famous classical compositions by Vivaldi and Beethoven, Bach and Mendelssohn, as well as latino and classic ethnic music and you get a whole image of INFINITY . Live sound and extraordinary solutions make Classic Show "INFINITY" remarkable not only from a visual point of view but also in terms of esthetic perception during performance; that is why the project differs from a great plenty of Russian and foreign show groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOx0utsJKQ

Now, my initial reaction to seeing this is to immediately hit the "back" button and curse the commercialization of classical music...but I wonder if this kind of thing is actually good for classical? Would someone see this and then eventually get deeper into Beethoven's music?

What if these 4 young ladies were to play, say, Opus 127? I don't know...
    The Daily Beethoven

Utterly ridiculous. This music should be performed with the dignity which befits it.

Comment

Right, Chris.
      But which would you rather be marooned on a Desert Island with?
      The Infinity Electric String Quartet or the Talich?

Comment

It isn't new, they were doing this sort of thing back in the 80s and Chris is right - if people can't be bothered to listen to it as written then listen to something else. It certainly won't get people into classical music because the music has been subjugated into a secondary role as with most pop music - all that counts is a sexy image.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Right, Chris.
          I think you'd soon be wishing you'd chosen the Talich!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I think you'd soon be wishing you'd chosen the Talich!
            I know I would.
            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              I know I would.
              Nah, Megan - you'd prefer the Lindsays.

Comment

It's garish trash in my estimation, but then it might appeal to the younger populace. I doubt very much if serious young female musicians would take to it.
                🎹

Comment

Nah, Megan - you'd prefer the Lindsays.
                  Yes, they would be fine too.
                  🎹

Comment

Yes, they would be fine too.
                    Fine too? Not "fine instead" ?

Comment

Fine too? Not "fine instead" ?
                      You know me Michael, I don't mind a bit of rivalry. Two for the price of one and all that .
                      🎹

Comment

Right, Chris.
                        The Dude thinks this is a good call!! Hey, Ed, where do you find these things man? Any red-blooded male would be rushing out for violin lessons after this (and so say all of us!!).

Comment

It's garish trash in my estimation, but then it might appeal to the younger populace. I doubt very much if serious young female musicians would take to it.
                          Not only that, but I think this sends a poor message to young girls interested in a career in music.

Comment

It seems to be (at least in the last 10 minutes) an almost unanimous response to the negative...

Now to turn things to less tawdry matters: What do you think will attract young people to classical music and Beethoven in particular?

Personally, I've been doing my best to make guitar versions of Beethoven's music without dumbing down the text (ie - faithful transcriptions)...I seem to have at least a few dozen fans of this kind of thing...but I think will hold off on the dancing girls

Edit: Here's one of my vids which I think may have attracted a fan from the demographic the Infinity group are going after....(see the comment LOL)

Beethoven - Hammerklavier Sonata (Guitar Arr. w MAM Animation)
                            Last edited by Ed C; 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM.
                            The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
                              Now to turn things to less tawdry matters: What do you think will attract young people to classical music and Beethoven in particular?
                              common sense and not foolishness,
                              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                              X