Musical OCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musical OCD

Some time ago I was undergoing Lithotripsy. This a fairly mild procedure which involves dissolving kidney stones by the use of ultrasound. I was mildly sedated - the effect is like having five glasses of wine all at once - and I was quite mellow and full of love for the human race.
    Anyway, all the way through this procedure the doctor kept humming a tune and after about five minutes of this, I murmured "Baby Elephant Walk". This startled the doctor and he said "What?"
    I replied in slurred voice: "Baby Elephant Walk. That's the tune you are humming."
    He replied that he didn't know the name of the tune and that it had been going around in his head all day - and he didn't even particularly like it.

This long-winded preamble is leading to a question. Do any of you have a tune repeating itself in your collective heads? It may vary from day to day.
    I have two tunes that I find myself humming without even realising it and this has been going on for the past couple of years.
    One is the second movement of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" (written by the second-greatest composer of all time) and the other one is "Don't Let me Down" by the Beatles.
    I kid you not. If I am performing any household tasks, such as peeling potatoes (after Dan Quayle and George Bush I am no longer sure of the correct spelling of that word) I find one or other of these tunes coming into my mind.
    Can anybody comment on this? Or, better still, find a cure?

Sometimes these are referred to as "earworms". Howwever, earworms are most often tunes that we'd rather get out of our heads but cannot. There are certain songs that do this to me upon even a partial hearing. Fortunately, they do not last me as long as yours have lasted for you, Michael.

Comment

I suppose my earworms could be worse. Could it be wax?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I suppose my earworms could be worse. Could it be wax?
        Sometimes wax could be helpful to keep them out in the first place!

Comment

Some time ago I was undergoing Lithotripsy. This a fairly mild procedure which involves dissolving kidney stones by the use of ultrasound. I was mildly sedated - the effect is like having five glasses of wine all at once - and I was quite mellow and full of love for the human race.
          Anyway, all the way through this procedure the doctor kept humming a tune and after about five minutes of this, I murmured "Baby Elephant Walk". This startled the doctor and he said "What?"
          I replied in slurred voice: "Baby Elephant Walk. That's the tune you are humming."
          He replied that he didn't know the name of the tune and that it had been going around in his head all day - and he didn't even particularly like it.

This long-winded preamble is leading to a question. Do any of you have a tune repeating itself in your collective heads? It may vary from day to day.
          I have two tunes that I find myself humming without even realising it and this has been going on for the past couple of years.
          One is the second movement of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" (written by the second-greatest composer of all time) and the other one is "Don't Let me Down" by the Beatles.
          I kid you not. If I am performing any household tasks, such as peeling potatoes (after Dan Quayle and George Bush I am no longer sure of the correct spelling of that word) I find one or other of these tunes coming into my mind.
          Can anybody comment on this? Or, better still, find a cure?
          I've had both conditions as well - You were lucky to be sedated, I just had pain-killers which weren't that effective though they did offer to stop for a breather half way through! As to the second condition I frequently suffer from it and it is usually a banal tune from one of my pupils' beginner's pieces sent to torment me long after the lesson has finished. For the past few days though it has been 'In Haven' from Elgar's Sea pictures -it has such a hypnotic accompaniment.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sometimes suffering from "earworms" I most of the time can get rid of them by listening to a recording of them. It becomes a nuisance as soon as I haven't a clue what it actually is......

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              I've had both conditions as well - You were lucky to be sedated, I just had pain-killers which weren't that effective though they did offer to stop for a breather half way through! .
              Regarding kidney stone demolition, sedation was available a few years back, but now the health cuts have come in and my last few sessions were just with pain-killers also. The last five minutes are the worst. And that CLACK CLACK sound is worse than any ear-worm.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Sometimes suffering from "earworms" I most of the time can get rid of them by listening to a recording of them. It becomes a nuisance as soon as I haven't a clue what it actually is......
                I've spoilt a lot of movies for myself by trying to identify a fragment of music heard on the soundtrack. I then lose track of the plot.

Comment

I've spoilt a lot of movies for myself by trying to identify a fragment of music heard on the soundtrack. I then lose track of the plot.
                  That makes two of us.....

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    That makes two of us.....

Three of us!
                    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                      Three of us!
                      I feel a bit better now. I thought it was old age!

Comment

Working...
                      X