a long awaited conclusion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a long awaited conclusion...

I have listened with all of my heart to Beethoven's music for years. I have the deepest respect for Beethoven as a human-being and as an artist. I had no greater desire than to feel his music, to be moved by such glorious tones. Though, my desire turned out to be to great, for me.

While I will continue to listen to classical music occasionally. I have come to the conclusion that, as of now, Beethoven is not really for me- simply because I do not understand it. This saddens me terribly. To be stripped away from one of my most important dreams- Beethoven's music. His music is simply to advanced and complex for me, and I lack the talent and ear to understand it. OH, how I longed to understand what he was saying with the music!

For all of you who do have the feeling for his music- I salute you, truly.

Most all of you are very good hearted and caring people, except for Philip, . I will continue posting on the forum, though probably not as often as I would like to.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

I'm sorry to learn about your predicament, Preston, as music obviously gives you pleasure. You do not need a music degree to appreciate Beethoven - he speaks directly to the heart. Yes, many of the people on this site are good-hearted people, as you rightly suggest. I think you misunderstand Philip - he really has a cheeky sense of humour! We are all music-lovers and this speaks volumes about people anyway! Good luck.
    Last edited by Bonn1827; 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
      I'm sorry to learn about your predicament, Preston, as music obviously gives you pleasure. You do not need a music degree to appreciate Beethoven - he speaks directly to the heart. Yes, many of the people on this site, including Philip, are good-hearted people as you rightly suggest. We are all music-lovers and this speaks volumes about people anyway! Good luck.
      Bonn, I was only joking with Philip! Of course, I know he is good-hearted. Notice the smiling wink icon. It was a joke. Philip, I hope you picked up on it!? I thought it was quite obvious.

---------------------

Either way, thank you. Yes, Beethoven can speak to the heart, and oh so deeply. It is hard to imagine music as deep and compassionate as Beethoven's.

It is just with Beethoven (and much other classical music) my heart, or more, my ears seem to be incapable of deeply affecting my heart through classical music. Sadly. It is really devastating for me.

So, therefore, I must stop listening, for the most part.

I wanted to raise the subject because I have been posting on this forum for over 4 years!
      Last edited by Preston; 10-11-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Preston, just keep listening. A true understanding will come of that. One can analyze a work to death and never come away realizing what the work means to him/her. The understanding has more to do with how you react to the music and how it impacts your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          Preston, just keep listening. A true understanding will come of that. One can analyze a work to death and never come away realizing what the work means to him/her. The understanding has more to do with how you react to the music and how it impacts your life.
          All too true, Sorrano. I thank you most kindly for your response.

Yes, the feelings/emotions are, to my mind, the primary thing when listening to any music. Though, that is the very problem. I am having trouble finding the feelings/emotions within classical. It is something about the writing style of a lot of classical I think? I do not wholly understand why I am having such trouble feeling it well.

I have compiled a very short list of pieces of music from YouTube. I find great enjoyment in this most peaceful and meditative music, imo. Though, when it comes to classical, I cannot say that. Even though I know that it is there, and most importantly- to a far greater degree.

The reason I compiled the short list is to see if any of you can tell why I enjoy this music so much, though am having trouble with the classical? I would be most appreciative if someone would be willing to take the time to listen, briefly, and then respond.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKsoQ6O8jI0
          - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25i56AWtFqk
          - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-wyp1vDGI
          - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_BKWttz18

There is something different about the contemporary "mood" music that gets to me? But why not my most treasured music- classical!

Sorrano, I cannot continue to listen as I was. Simply because I feel as if I am getting nowhere.

Thank you again, Sorrano.
          Last edited by Preston; 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I think you are way, waaaaaaaaay over-thinking this. Do you enjoy classical music? Then listen to it. Do you not? Don't listen to it. It's not about understanding, and it's not even really about emotions. Do you think all the people who went to hear concerts of Beethoven's music in his day were concerned about these issues? No, they just wanted to hear some good music. One can study music, investigate it, analyze it. Or just simply enjoy it. There's no one single way to experience music, and no real point in trying to force one way on yourself just for the sake of doing it, or because you somehow think you are supposed to. Even infants enjoy and get something from classical music, so you can be sure that whatever gifts you have or do not have, there can be something in it for you too.

Comment

To my understanding, it is wholly about emotion or feeling. What would be the point in good music if there was no emotion? Or music for that matter?

Chris, you know that I deeply care for the orchestra and classical. The problem is that I am feeling more emotion in Howard Shore than in Beethoven! That should not be. Meaning that I am feeling too little, way to little, emotion in classical. That, and even more of a problem is that I do not understand the little emotion I am feeling in classical- this is tragic for me. The reason being is because, for me personally, I have almost no greater goal in life than to feel the glorious tones of the masters- and, I cannot.

The thing that makes me sick and crushes me to the ground is that I probably never will feel the sacred tones of Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                To my understanding, it is wholly about emotion or feeling. What would be the point in good music if there was no emotion? Or music for that matter?
                It can about appreciation of beauty, which does NOT require emotion. It can be about intellectual fulfillment. It can be about satisfying curiosity.

The problem is that I am feeling more emotion in Howard Shore than in Beethoven!
                One might feel more emotion in pop music than anything else. Tugging on the heart strings is easy, and that is not what makes great art. And Howard Shore writes mostly for films. Are you listening to film music? That music is specifically designed to enhance the emotion or atmosphere in the scenes of the film. So that is really no surprise.

Comment

Chris, you know that I deeply care for the orchestra and classical. The problem is that I am feeling more emotion in Howard Shore than in Beethoven! That should not be. Meaning that I am feeling too little, way to little, emotion in classical. That, and even more of a problem is that I do not understand the little emotion I am feeling in classical- this is tragic for me. The reason being is because, for me personally, I have almost no greater goal in life than to feel the glorious tones of the masters- and, I cannot.

The thing that makes me sick and crushes me to the ground is that I probably never will feel the sacred tones of Beethoven.
                  Then you are right to give it a rest - you are trying too hard. Leave Classical music alone for a while - read, look at art, listen to what you like and when you feel ready try coming back to it, but do not be so hard on yourself!!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

All too true, Sorrano. I thank you most kindly for your response.

Yes, the feelings/emotions are, to my mind, the primary thing when listening to any music. Though, that is the very problem. I am having trouble finding the feelings/emotions within classical. It is something about the writing style of a lot of classical I think? I do not wholly understand why I am having such trouble feeling it well.

I have compiled a very short list of pieces of music from YouTube. I find great enjoyment in this most peaceful and meditative music, imo. Though, when it comes to classical, I cannot say that. Even though I know that it is there, and most importantly- to a far greater degree.

The reason I compiled the short list is to see if any of you can tell why I enjoy this music so much, though am having trouble with the classical? I would be most appreciative if someone would be willing to take the time to listen, briefly, and then respond.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKsoQ6O8jI0
                    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25i56AWtFqk
                    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-wyp1vDGI
                    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_BKWttz18

There is something different about the contemporary "mood" music that gets to me? But why not my most treasured music- classical!

Sorrano, I cannot continue to listen as I was. Simply because I feel as if I am getting nowhere.

Thank you again, Sorrano.
                    I agree with Peter. I think you've made an important decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Then you are right to give it a rest - you are trying too hard. Leave Classical music alone for a while - read, look at art, listen to what you like and when you feel ready try coming back to it, but do not be so hard on yourself!!
                      Yes, I think you are right Peter. Thank you for your understanding.

Comment

Preston, it seems to me no one has answered directly your request (namely, to listen to the links you give above and to explain why this genre of music moves you more than "classical"). What is curious, it strikes me, is that the extracts you propose are very "classical" (in its widest, commercial sense) and are clearly pastiche (and as Chris has pointed out, designed to pull the heart strings). More than that, they (your You Tube extracts) are extremely "modal" in flavour - they set out to create that, well, "utopian-cum-pastoral-feel-good sentiment" that Roehrer would describe as "dark brown wood" (Cf. Elgar). But I'm afraid it is all "first level" music, by which I mean "instantly attractive" (and very well orchestrated, I hasten to add).

As to understanding Beethoven (and music in general), that is a quest we are all on, and if ever we claim such a (total) thing then it wil be time for us to stop. Apart from the Triple Concerto, which in my understanding is utter rubbish and irritates me no end.

Peter's advice is good (he gasps and falls over ...) : take a break and come back to it later. When you'll be least expecting it, it'll rise up and bite you on your bum (or rip your ears off ...)!

PS : I know you were kidding me above. I'm going to sulk now.
                        Last edited by Quijote; 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo. I smack my own wrist.

Comment

Yes, I think you are right Peter. Thank you for your understanding.
                          I admire you greatly for your determination and efforts to get to know Beethoven's music over several years - that is more than most would ever bother to do. I'm sure that at a later time in your life it will be right for you but you shouldn't feel so bothered that that time isn't now.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            But I'm afraid it is all "first level" music, by which I mean "instantly attractive" (and very well orchestrated, I hasten to add).

When you'll be least expecting it, it'll rise up and bite you on your bum (or rip your ears off ...)!
                            Philip, thank you for your response concerning the question I asked. It helped a good deal.

I pray for the day when classical music will rise up and bite me on the bum!

For now, I will cease listening to classical music for a large part, yet wait for the day when it hopefully and greatly comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              I admire you greatly for your determination and efforts to get to know Beethoven's music over several years - that is more than most would ever bother to do. I'm sure that at a later time in your life it will be right for you but you shouldn't feel so bothered that that time isn't now.
                              Thank you for your advice, again, Peter. I do have a great interest in the arts and particularly the masters of the arts. You are right, just because it is not there now does not mean it will not come later. That is something to look forward to.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X