This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    According to one of the critics at the premiere of the Tchaikovsky Violin concerto the question should be put whether music actually can stink

Many critics in Tchaikovsky's time had an axe to grind where T. was concerned. He didn't fit in to the mould of the more masculine Russian national models of music.
    In his own way he was a genius, though I am selective with his music. But the violin concerto is obviously a brilliant work and belongs in the Pantheon of all the great violin concertos, Brahms, Sibelius, Bruch, etc.
    🎹

Comment

Listening to Bach's chaconne for solo violin. I have never had the appreciation of Bach's music I should have. The fault is all mine. I blame it on carelessness and stupidity.

I am thankful that I have looked into more of his music. So, thankful.
      Last edited by Preston; 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Today:

Stravinsky:
        Pastorale (1934-version)
        Suite italienne (vn+pn-version)

Poulenc:
        Sinfonietta (1947)
        Suite francaise (1935)

Thoinot Arbeau:
        Dances from Orchésographie (1588)

Warlock:
        Capriol suite (1926)

Comment

I, too, like Tchaikovsky's 2nd PC better than his 1st, but I would not put his VC in the "pantheon" of all the great VC's.
          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Listened to the very powerful, terrifying, etc. 1st mov. of Beethoven's 5th Symphony last night. I know everyone here knows this- though, while a lot of Beethoven's music is profound, sublime, etc., a lot of it is very, very powerful, dark, depressing, terrifying, sad, melancholy, etc. Seeing as everyone knows that, I do not know why I mentioned it, maybe as a mental note to myself, .
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
              Listening to Bach's chaconne for solo violin. I have never had the appreciation of Bach's music I should have. The fault is all mine. I blame it on carelessness and stupidity.

I am thankful that I have looked into more of his music. So, thankful.
              Bach is not always that easy to listen to and enjoy. For a long time I simply did not care for Bach at all, then I heard recording from someone who really cared. It made all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Bach is not always that easy to listen to and enjoy. For a long time I simply did not care for Bach at all, then I heard recording from someone who really cared. It made all the difference.
                I do think that this does apply to many composers. A bad or unloving performance can put one off, certainly when the piece cannot be followed with the score.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  I do think that this does apply to many composers. A bad or unloving performance can put one off, certainly when the piece cannot be followed with the score.
                  Bach was particularly difficult for me. While I respected his genius (one cannot help but study his music when studying theory) I was always turned off by the music itself. Today that seems incredible to me, but the one recording really did open my ears (and eyes). Incidentally, the recording was by Hillary Hahn, back in '96, playing two partitas and a Sonata. Ever after, I was hooked on Bach!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    Bach was particularly difficult for me. While I respected his genius (one cannot help but study his music when studying theory) I was always turned off by the music itself. Today that seems incredible to me, but the one recording really did open my ears (and eyes). Incidentally, the recording was by Hillary Hahn, back in '96, playing two partitas and a Sonata. Ever after, I was hooked on Bach!
                    I couldn't stand Bach's solo violin music until I got the complete Heifetz recordings of same. I agree that badly-played/recorded classical music can turn people away from a composer. In fact I think that has contributed to the downfall of classical music listening in general. When I told an old friend that I was heavy into Beethoven & classical these days he said that I should write about out the symphonic version of "Eleanor Rigby".

RE: Mischa Maisky - his Beethoven cello sonatas with Martha Argerich are exciting as hell, tho I would never part with Richter/Rostropovich.

Comment

Today:

Kaski:
                      Prelude (1912) (R3: TtN)

Balakauskas:
                      Opera strumentale – 5 fragments for orchestra (1987)

Rihm:
                      Wolfl-Liederbuch (1981)

Karabits:
                      Concerto for Orchestra no.2 (1986)

Akutagawa:
                      Rhapsody for orchestra (1971)

Matthus:
                      Der Wald (The Forest) –concerto for timpani and orchestra (1984)

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post
                        tho I would never part with Richter/Rostropovich.
                        I hear that.

Comment

This afternoon;

Alfred Brendel (Farewell Concert) - Mozart, Sonata K533 (K494).

This is the most extraordinary sonata!! It is reminiscent of the wit and complexity of the best Haydn sonatas and Mozart's explorations of key are simply magnificent. The Rondo is to-die-for!!

I've been following Brendel's performance (with accompanying grunting and vocalizations - ugh!!) with the Henle Verlag score and I find that the next opus in the sonata oeuvre is K545 - that old warhorse for pianists!! What a world exists between both of these two works - the first profound and imaginative, the second not really up to Mozart's usual high standard and sporting a rather bland (for him) Alberti bass line. (Could be Clementi!)

Can anybody explain the huge diversity between K533 and K545? Peter?
                          Last edited by Bonn1827; 08-13-2010, 07:50 AM. Reason: The unbearable lightness of being...

Comment

At this very moment in time it's Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61.
                            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

This morning the radio played Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy. (Anyone here play that?)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                                This afternoon;
                                Can anybody explain the huge diversity between K533 and K545? Peter?
                                The exact circumstances of its composition are unknown, but Mozart wrote in his catalog that K 545 was "for beginners", so that would be the reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X