BBC Proms 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Proms 2010

Anyone been listening to any of the above concerts?
    Paul Lewis is scheduled to play B's piano concertos
    Last night was the violin concerto, soloist Hilary Hahn - I didn't care for it much if I'm honest

I saw half of one of the Paul Lewis concerts. He played the Piano Concerto No. 1 and, after the interval, No. 4. I couldn't switch channels to I had to bail out after the first concerto and allow others to watch something else. I was quite impressed by Mr Lewis.

Comment

I saw the broadcast of the Lewis concert and was pretty impressed. He played with a conviction and a good sense of dynamics. The next day I listened to his B. piano sonatas and those are a bit too 'measured' for my tastes... I'll be curious how the remaining piano concertos go.

Comment

So far I'm enjoying the Jaervi/Hahn concert. Except for when the announcer has left her mike on and you can hear her shuffling papers or something.

I'm a Jaervi fan, but apparently this night did have a mixed reception. All I can say is that when I saw the OAE with Ivan Fischer do the period orchestra thing live it wasn't as good in the hall as on the home stereo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F7...thread=7650879

Comment

Watched Paul Lewis play the 2nd piano concerto on BBC4 last night, very good it was too. Liked the interview with him about the work and how the cadenza was written much later so has a different Beethoven style

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Leeds View Post
            Watched Paul Lewis play the 2nd piano concerto on BBC4 last night, very good it was too. Liked the interview with him about the work and how the cadenza was written much later so has a different Beethoven style
            Yes Beethoven wrote cadenzas for all his earlier piano concertos in 1808 - obviously because he wasn't satisfied with other people inserting their own in the traditional manner! He went one step further in the Emperor concerto and wrote it directly into the score.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

What happened to the television broadcast of the 5th Concerto?

Paul Lewis played all of the Beethoven Concertos at this years proms, the first time this has ever been done. To the BBC's credit they televised all of the concerts, except for the 5th. They announced that the fifth one would be broadcast at a later date. They substituted it for a historic performance of the 5th by Murray Pariah, which I thought was a very strange thing to do.

Well I've been looking out for the missing Paul Lewis concert since then, and I've not seen it yet Have I missed it?

What was the BBC's reason for this strange decision? Will this last concert ever be televised? As time goes on, it seems increasingly unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by melvyn View Post
                What happened to the television broadcast of the 5th Concerto?

Paul Lewis played all of the Beethoven Concertos at this years proms, the first time this has ever been done. To the BBC's credit they televised all of the concerts, except for the 5th. They announced that the fifth one would be broadcast at a later date. They substituted it for a historic performance of the 5th by Murray Pariah, which I thought was a very strange thing to do.

Well I've been looking out for the missing Paul Lewis concert since then, and I've not seen it yet Have I missed it?

What was the BBC's reason for this strange decision? Will this last concert ever be televised? As time goes on, it seems increasingly unlikely.
                I agree it was a strange thing to do, but typical of the BBC considering what has happened to Radio 3. It has reduced itself to the lowest common denominator in a bid to compete with classic fm with a ghastly popular chart which recycles the same old predictable pieces that would otherwise have been bearable but have now become intolerable - it seems orchestras are also being forced down this road for commercial reasons, the LPO being such an example having released its '50 greatest pieces of Classical music' - one of which was played this morning on BBC radio 3 - Brahms' Hungarian dance no.5!!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, once again you've hit the nail on the head about declining standards in culture. (I remember we had this discussion with regard to education!!) There are so few of us left who feel impoverished by the current state of the "yarts" and the meagre offerings which can challenge and stimulate the intellect. A sign of the times? The commodification of culture - where everything has a dollar value.

Just watching a documentary about the history of Berlin and finding out about dreadful violence. I just commented to my husband and 34 y/o son, "people are so dreadful to each other; no wonder I spend my time listening to music".

This, of course, does not apply to the good folks on the Beethoven Reference Site!!
                  Last edited by Bonn1827; 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM. Reason: She shall have music where ever she goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    I agree it was a strange thing to do, but typical of the BBC considering what has happened to Radio 3. It has reduced itself to the lowest common denominator in a bid to compete with classic fm with a ghastly popular chart which recycles the same old predictable pieces that would otherwise have been bearable but have now become intolerable - it seems orchestras are also being forced down this road for commercial reasons, the LPO being such an example having released its '50 greatest pieces of Classical music' - one of which was played this morning on BBC radio 3 - Brahms' Hungarian dance no.5!!
                    Exactly! Our own "classical" channel, Lyric FM, is a clone of Classic FM. I really can't bear to listen to it as I will inevitably hear Pacelbel's bloody canon or the opening of the "Four Seasons" or the Mozart clarinet concerto. And our house phone ringtone is Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5! Aaaaaargh!

Comment

Well, I am more than happy with Baltimore's classical music station, WBJC. I hear a great mix of familiar and unfamiliar music. I have been introduced to many pieces and composers I have never heard before. Washington D.C.'s is very good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Exactly! Our own "classical" channel, Lyric FM, is a clone of Classic FM. I really can't bear to listen to it as I will inevitably hear Pacelbel's bloody canon or the opening of the "Four Seasons" or the Mozart clarinet concerto. And our house phone ringtone is Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5! Aaaaaargh!
                        Thank goodness for CD's! Looks like it's time to change your ringtone!
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The local station here does a pretty good job, too, of mixing things up. Since it is owned by a private university it relies mostly on donations (and their fund raisers do pretty well, too) and they are committed to being a quality Classical station. There are a lot of internet options, too, that will allow a good mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                            Thank goodness for CD's! Looks like it's time to change your ringtone!
                            Nah! Just too much wine. I'm feeling better today, Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Nah! Just too much wine. I'm feeling better today, Joy.
                              Glad to hear it!
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                              X