Beethoven's single greatest accomplishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's single greatest accomplishment

This idea (question) has been occurring to me over the last few days, but I cannot really come up with an answer, and I wondered what members of the Forum might think: what was Beethoven's single greatest accomplishment??
    Cocchini

I think it would be composing music : }

Comment

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
      I think it would be composing music : }

That's one way of answering!
      Instead of picking out a single work, I would suggest that Beethoven's greatest accomplishment is/are his string quartets.

Comment

I like the symphonies best. If I had to pick my two favorites, I would say #5 and #9. I would be hard-pressed to choose a favorite between them.

Comment

I love the Piano Concertos. Like the previous poster it's hard to pick a favourite but I'd have to go with the 4th.
          My misfortune is doubly painful, I was bound to be misunderstood. LvB

Comment

It seems that Beethoven himself thought it was the Missa Solemnis, and I couldn't argue with that. If I had to pick a specific genre I would say either the symphonies or the piano sonatas. Aside from standing out among his own compositions, in these genres I feel he far outdid his predecessors and was never equaled by his successors.

Comment

For me, Beethoven's greatest works are his piano sonatas and symphonies. I cannot imagine a life without those wonderful works, particularly the sonatas which reveal their richness and beauty to me on every hearing (though lately I've had my ear let me down significantly ... a-hem, Philip!!).

Comment

Originally posted by Cocchini View Post
                This idea (question) has been occurring to me over the last few days, but I cannot really come up with an answer, and I wondered what members of the Forum might think: what was Beethoven's single greatest accomplishment??
                Anything I may have to say would be a non sequitur.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                  For me, Beethoven's greatest works are his piano sonatas and symphonies. I cannot imagine a life without those wonderful works, particularly the sonatas which reveal their richness and beauty to me on every hearing (though lately I've had my ear let me down significantly ... a-hem, Philip!!).
                  A-hem yourself, Bonn! (Nasty cough, you've got there). It's not solely a question of ears, of course; it's the brain that goes with them. I am not for one moment suggesting this is your case, Bonn 1827.

Comment

I daresay I wouldn't have the problem Philip if I was younger and, say, blond!!

Comment

Well, I say! My wife is younger than I, and blond (with blue eyes; a perfect Ayran specimen, she is). Brain is what brain will be. The ears will - generally - follow.

Comment

Perhaps in terms of greatest accomplishments Beethoven overcoming his disabilities to continue his beloved art, and then excelling in it in spite of the issues might come to mind.
                        Last edited by Sorrano; 06-28-2010, 03:27 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence (like this one).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Perhaps in terms of greatest accomplishments Beethoven overcoming his disabilities to continue his beloved art, and then excelling in it in spite of the issues might come to mind.
                          Beautiful Sorrano, and unimaginably sad to think of. When I first read the thread my thought was with someone as Beethoven so much he did was a great accomplishment. Personally, I, could not imagine their being only one primary great accomplishment, because, there seem to be so many great accomplishments of equal value.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post.
                          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                            Yep, that covers it. Debate over, as far as I'm concerned. A true role-model that I would do well to emulate. The spirit is willing, the flesh only all-too-weak. I'll have a glass of wine instead, as I digest Sorrano's wisdom. No sarcasm intended. Add "humble" icon thingie.

Comment

greatetst achievement

The greatest achievement was the introduction into this world of so much musical depth which could never pale or stale at the next morning's dawn.
                              There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!

Comment

Working...
                              X