No announcement yet.

Spiritual Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree. I think children, in their innocence, have a far better grasp of the sacred than adults in many cases. Sacredness need not require depth in the sense of complexity.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      I disagree. I think children, in their innocence, have a far better grasp of the sacred than adults in many cases. Sacredness need not require depth in the sense of complexity.
      Chris, I think you bring up a very good point- a child's innocence. I agree that many adults (all to many) become corrupt and sinful and therefore lose touch with all that is sacred. Though, some adults also experience true goodness in their lives- this is what counts, not innocence.

To my mind, to achieve the sacred, it requires much more than innocence- by far. To my mind, it would require things such as- deep understanding, deep thought, much sacrifice of sin, a complete lack of innocence (instead a full and wholesome understanding), etc.

The thought of a child's innocence is a common one. Though, in fact, I believe that because of this innocence (as touching as it may seem) is the very reason people become corrupt- because innocence has no true depth and understanding- innocence is all too easily corrupted, while, the sacred is not. IMO, when compared to the sacred, innocence, is anything but. That is only my opinion, though, .
      Last edited by Preston; 06-17-2010, 10:22 PM.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Sometime ago I expressed in this thread that I was not too impressed by the Haydn masses works. Today I can tell you that I very much changed my view since I listened the Nelson Mass conducted by John E. Gardiner. Whow, what a great and powerful work! This CD has changed my view of Haydn and I began to get to know also other Masses from Haydn. And on the same CD I found the Nelson Mass as a whole is sureley the peak of the Masses but there is one passage from the Theresien
        Mass which surpasses even the Nelson Mass - the "Qui Tollis" part in the Gloria. This is so great (starting at about 2:52, but here not quite as wonderful as in the Gardiner CD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qFh...eature=related

Gerd

Comment

Thank you so much for this Haydn.
          Last edited by oh_Weininger; 03-13-2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I haven't read the entire thread, so my response may not be in line. I grew up playing keyboards in a non-liturgical/evangelical type church. I've seen that "Spiritual" music can be as much about the listener as it is about the performer. I have, at times, not played up to my potential during a worship service and people have commented to me that they were "blessed" by my playing on that occasion. I always commit my performances to God - whether in church or the recital hall. So, in the end, I think spiritual music is what you make it. If you're paying attention, it's all spiritual and, consequently, beneficial. Don't pay attention, don't get the spiritual benefit.

Comment

Working...
            X