Composer of the Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composer of the Week

BBC Radio 3 is featuring Beethoven's life and music starting Monday 10th of May. Episode 1 of 5 starts at 12:00. Includes downloads.

Aside from his music, Beethoven is perhaps best known for his devastating loss of hearing and infamous love life. Donald Macleod examines how this complex man was affected by such crises, set against the backdrop of the turbulent years through which he lived. In each episode Donald concentrates on the music and events in and around one significant year, beginning in 1803.

By then, aged 33, Beethoven's hearing had already begun to deteriorate and the previous year he wrote of his despair and thoughts of suicide. It marked a change in his music and a new 'heroic style' emerged, reflected in the virtuosic Waldstein Sonata and in the Eroica Symphony, originally written in Napoleon's honour. In the second programme, Donald reflects on 1809, the year Napoleon invaded Vienna. We'll hear from the Les Adieux Piano Sonata and majestic Emperor Piano Concerto, both of which Beethoven wrote for his friend and patron, Archduke Rudolph.

Beethoven had numerous amorous encounters over the years, but things came to a head in 1812. That year he wrote a love letter to his 'Immortal Beloved' whose identity has given rise to endless speculation. In the third programme Donald introduces songs written for the woman thought to be the intended recipient, Antonie Brentano, and ends the programme with the final major work of that year, his 8th symphony.

More details..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sbb2c

Last edited by Megan; 05-09-2010, 09:05 AM.
    🎹

Thanks for that Megan - I'll try and listen in if I'm free! Others from different parts of the world can listen in live on the BBC radio 3 website.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Thanks for that Megan - I'll try and listen in if I'm free! Others from different parts of the world can listen in live on the BBC radio 3 website.

Peter and other interested members,
      You most probably know that they archive each programme , so that you can use the 'listen again' facility if midday is not a convenient time for you. I will listen late afternoon as this is the best time for me. It is a wonderful opportunity to discover Beethoven's dazzling genuis all over again, and listen to pieces that I haven't heard for a while.

Here is the 'listen again' link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sch6b
      🎹

Comment

Thanks for the link, Megan. It saved a lot of rooting around.

Comment

Megan is my friend, not yours. Thank you Megan for this post. Yaah booh to the rest of you.

Comment

I am very possessive. She is mine.

Comment

Yeah..thanks!

Comment

Sorry. Just kidding...

Comment

Working...
                X